Submission: April 02, 2015
Registration: April 02, 2015
Prizes:1st prize: US$ 4000,2nd prize: US$ 2000, 3rd prize: US$1000
An urban public space entreats the citizens of a diverse population to participate in public life on common ground. It is a place of social interaction, recreation, cultural activities, political activities, and many other public events. It enhances the quality of urban life.
As the world’s population continues to grow and urban density increases, countless cities around the world are facing the situation that public space is dropping in proportion to private space, and it is almost impossible to add conventional public spaces like large public parks or squares, as the space left in the public domain becomes more and more limited.
The competition asks an open–ended question of how we could use architecture as a device to perform a surgical operation on the already dense city fabric in order to provide a new model of public space. To add to the quality of people’s urban life, what, where and how can we insert a place into the city? What kind of a place would it be? What is currently missing? What is not enough? Where would we place this intervention when available cityspace seems scarce? How could we redefine our positive relationship with density?
The competition invites the participant to strategically select a real site in a dense city, and propose a program and an architectural design that demonstrates a new model of public space, and address the city–scale urban density condition with the architectural–scale intervention.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- The competition is an international competition open to everyone, individual or group.
- No limit on the number of submissions.
- The design shall not have been presented elsewhere before.
- The entrant should have legal rights and copyrights to all the material submitted. If the project contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant, the submission shall be excluded from any consideration. If it is later known that rights have been violated, the prize and award will be recalled.
- The copyright of the project belongs to the entrant.
- All materials submitted may be displayed and/or published at the discretion of The Association of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage.
April 2, 2015 Deadline for submission. Note: The submission shall arrive at the submission address no later than 5pm of the deadline date.
April 21, 2015 Announcement of awarded entries
April 28 – May 3, 2015 The winning projects and selected entries will be exhibited at Architect ‘15, Challenger Hall, IMPACT Exhibition and Convention Center
First Prize: 4,000 USD and a trophy
Second Prize: 2,000 USD and a trophy
Third Prize: 1,000 USD and a trophy
3 Honorable Mentions: 500 USD and a trophy