Submission: 14 October 2017
Registration: 14 October 2017
Language: English, French
Prizes: 1st Prize: 6.000€, 2nd Prize: 4.000€, 3rd Prize: 2.000€
Fondation d’entreprise Bénéteau is organising its seventh annual competition for students enrolled at a European architecture, engineering, design or art school or attending a university course relevant to the stated objective. This year the competition relates to the design of a catamaran.
In order to promote and encourage innovation in the world of boating and housing, Fondation d’entreprise Bénéteau is organising its seventh annual competition for students enrolled at a European architecture, engineering, design or art school or attending a university course relevant to the stated objective.
This year the competition relates to the design of a catamaran:
Consisting of two hulls, in order to reduce its water resistance and travel faster while ensuring greater stability, the catamaran’s shape can also increase the surface area of the deck. Very popular with pleasure boaters for its navigation and safety features, it nevertheless provides spacious and comfortable living spaces, close to the standard of a traditional home.
Considering the evolution and development of pleasure boating, environmental protection and technological advances, students are invited to participate in a creative competition to design a sailing catamaran (candidates may choose the type of sail). This catamaran must have a layout that allows it to house 4 to 8 people. The design, on-board living comfort, means of propulsion and innovation of on-board systems (electricity, plumbing, waste water treatment) will be important criteria.
In order to encourage creativity, only the size of the catamaran is specified:
- maximum overall length from 30 to 40 feet (10 to 12 m);
- maximum overall width of 22 feet (7m). The selection criteria will focus on: concept, creativity, comfort, functionality and relationship with the environment.
The following is required: a single PDF, in French or English, in A3 format, in the form of a booklet not exceeding 15 Mb containing at least:
− a written presentation of the overall concept along with sketches;
− a description of the layout;
− a plan showing the layout of the deck to a scale of 1:50;
− a plan showing the layout of the saloon to a scale of 1:50;
− a plan showing the layout of the hulls to a scale of 1:50;
− a longitudinal section to a scale of 1:50;
− a cross-section to a scale of 1:50;
− two perspective views.
− Students have until midnight on 14 October 2017 to submit their registrations and completed dossiers, with the date and time of the e-mail as proof.
– students may enter individually or as a team;
– if they enter as a team, they must appoint a team leader who will be the sole point of contact for Fondation d’entreprise Bénéteau. The leader will be responsible for sending the registration forms and copies of the student cards of all team members. The name of the team will be the name of the team leader.
– the plans may bear the name of the participant(s). No anonymity is required.