Submission: April 25, 2016
Registration: April 25, 2016
Prizes: 1st Prize: $3,000, 2nd Prize: $1,500, 3rd Prize: $750
After receiving over 350 registrations from 50 different countries at last years inaugural Dencity Competition, Shelter is pleased to invite back architects, planners, students, engineers, designers, thinkers, NGOs and organizations from all over the world to take part in designing for a better city.
Rapid world growth and urbanization is not allowing cities to adapt and provide for their inhabitants. Towns are quickly growing into cities, and some of the densest places in the world are comprised of makeshift homes, otherwise referred to as slums. Furthermore, already overcrowded cities have to absorb people leaving their rural hometown in hope of job opportunities. There are currently over 1 billion slum dwellers in the world. This number is expected to reach 2 billion by the year 2030. Now, more than ever, we need to play a central role in the development of substandard neighborhoods. Slums effect much more than just housing; they affect almost all living conditions and communities as a whole.
The intent of this competition is twofold: to foster new ideas on how to better handle the growing density of unplanned cities and to spread awareness of this massive problem. Contestants should consider how design can empower communities and allow for a self-sufficient future.
There are no restrictions in regards to site, program, or size. Projects can be based on a specific location or a general concept. The object is to limit constraints and give participants the freedom to think in the most creative way possible. Submissions do not need to be created exclusively for this competition, but should not have been submitted elsewhere.
Rules and Regulations
- The official language of the competition is English. All projects must be submitted in English
- The registration fee is nonrefundable
- Contacting any member of the Jury is prohibited
- Shelter Global, as the organizer of the competition, has the right to modify the competition schedule
- Entrants will be disqualified from the competition if any of the rules are broken
- Participation assumes acceptance of the rules and regulations
Architects, students, engineers, designers, thinkers, NGOs and organizations are all invited to participate in this competition. No professional qualifications are necessary. Interdisciplinary teams are also encouraged to join.
Registration Fee is $55/project
Registration opens December 17, 2015
Registration closes March 14, 2016
Late Registration goes until April 25, 2016 at midnight and is $80
Participants may submit multiple projects, but must register each entry
Individual entries are allowed. All teams are limited to 4 people maximum.
1st Place: $3,000 USD + Build Abroad trip (http://buildabroad.org)
2nd Place: $1,500 USD
3rd Place: $750 USD
There will also be 5 special mentions. Winners and special mentions will be published in several international online magazines as well as the Shelter website.
- 2 horizontal project boards at 24(h)” x 48(w)” at high quality (150 dpi). You may include, but are not limited to sitemaps, drawings, elevations, sections, photographs, renderings or anything else that may help illustrate your idea. Each board must also include your Dencity Competition ID in the upper right hand corner.
- A text .doc sized 8.5” x 11”, between 750-1500 words, with a language requirement of English. This document must help explain your project boards. You may include this text within your boards, but is not required to do so. The text file must also include your Dencity Competition ID in the upper right hand corner.
- Team member biographies must be included for each person participating. You may use any standard text file format. Please include the names of all participants with a short paragraph about their background. Also include each person’s profession, email address, home address, phone number and Dencity Competition ID.
Everything above should be included in a zip file and sent to email@example.com via WeTransfer. You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of submitting your entry. If you do not receive a confirmation within 24 hours feel free to contact us. All submissions are due by 11:59 pm EST on April 14, 2016.