Submission: July 01, 2020
Registration: July 01, 2020
Prizes: Please see details below
Photography and the Modern Movement are inextricably linked. The work of architectural photographers such as Julius Shulman, Ezra Stoller, Pedro Guerrero and Berenice Abbott, to name just a few, played a critical role in the perception and promotion of modern architecture and design. Architects worked in close relationships with their preferred photographers to portray their work in the proper light, both literally and figuratively. The iconic images created by photographers of the mid-20th century have forever shaped the way we view great works of modernism.
Docomomo US invites individuals to put their own photographic imprint on modern sites through the I Spy Modernism Architectural Photography Competition.
Entries will be accepted through Wednesday July 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST.
- All individuals 18 years of age and over are eligible to enter. Docomomo US members, chapters, amateur photographers as well as professional photographers are encouraged to participate.
- Photos must have been exposed by, and be owned by, the entrant. Each entry must be an original work created within the last five (5) years (no earlier than May 18, 2015).
- The subject matter must be a building, site, structure, or landscape of the Modern Movement.
- Depictions of sites from any location worldwide are permitted, but locations within the United States or on U.S. territory are encouraged. Ideally, sites will have originally been completed between 1940 and 1980, but submissions outside these parameters will be considered.
- This competition is void where prohibited by law.
Entrants agree to allow Docomomo US to display, distribute, or reproduce images in whole or in part, for promotional purposes related to the photography competition, including printed reproductions in the form of individual note cards that will be made available for purchase through Docomomo US. Docomomo US will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses. Photographers may choose to grant permission to Docomomo US to use and reproduce images for educational and advocacy related efforts. Images will always be credited.
If photos contain recognizable individuals, the photographer must confirm through the online registration fo that they have obtained all necessary permissions to use their image.
The I Spy Modernism Photography Competition is an initiative of Docomomo US. Any photographers or representative companies mentioned are included to provide illustration of the deep connection of architecture and photography.
- Individual images must not exceed 20 MB in size.
- Each image must be at least 300 dpi and 3000 x 4200 pixels (vertical or horizontal orientation accepted), and in JPG or TIFF format. Images that do not adhere to these dimensions may be cropped if chosen as one of the finalists.
- Black-and-white, color, and color converted to grayscale photos are all accepted.
Each entry fee allows you to enter up to three images.
First Place $500
Second Place $300
Third Place $200
In addition to receiving cash awards, the top entries will be featured on the Docomomo US website and produced in the form of note cards which will be made available for purchase through Docomomo US. The winning entrants will each receive a complimentary set of note cards.
The I Spy Modernism Architectural Photography Competition will be reviewed by an internal jury of Docomomo US leadership with assistance by Matthew Carbone, a NYC-based architectural photographer and long-standing Docomomo US friend.