Submission: May 07, 2020
Registration: February 18, 2020
Prizes: Please see details below
To ensure integrated architecture design, if the design proposal winning the first place is taken for implementation, the first-place winner will be awarded the contract for architecture and interior schematic design and landscape concept design, as well as the contract for architecture design development. The specific contents of the contract will be provided in the Competition Document issued in schematic design phase.
Located on top of Shenzhen Bay Park (Park on Shenzhen Bay Coastal Leisure Belt) at the south end of Shekou Peninsula in Nanshan District, the Project extends into the sea resembling a peninsula, overlooking Shenzhen Bay Highway Bridge and the skyline of Futian Center to the east, Hong Kong to the south across the sea, and Da Nanshan Mount/Xiao Nan Mount to the west.
The design scope of 17.5 hectares is divided into north area and south area by Wanghai Road. The site neighbors the existing Shekou Mountain Park on the northwest, the vacant mixed-use land on the north, the existing Shenzhen Bay Sports Park on the east, and the existing residential area on the southwest.
The Opera House
The Opera House contains core performing area, public service and cultural & creativity area, MEP room and office area.
Core performing area: 167,000㎡, including opera hall, concert hall, small opera hall, multi-functional theatre and performance supporting rooms. Each performance hall is consisted of auditorium, stage, public space and backstage.
- Opera hall: the floor area should not exceed 36,000㎡. It mainly accommodates opera (including Chinese national opera), ballet, Chinese folk dance, modern dance, etc. The detailed design requirements are:
1) Provide 2,300 audience seats
2) A six-square layout and a proscenium of 19×13m are preferred. The stage mechanics should have push, pull, lifting, and rotating functions.
3)The backstage should facilitate the make-up of 300-350 performers.
- Concert hall: the floor area should not exceed 17,500㎡. It mainly accommodates symphony concert, folk music concert, concert opera, semi-opera, etc. The detailed design requirements are:
1) Provide 1,800 audience seats
2) The stage should accommodate a 120-people four-pipe orchestra.
3) The backstage should facilitate the make-up of 200-250 performers.
- Small opera hall: the floor area should not exceed 11,000㎡. It mainly accommodates comic opera, operetta, children’s opera, traditional opera, modern dance, etc. The detailed design requirements are:
1) Provide 800 audience seats
2) A three-square stage structure and a proscenium of14×8 are preferred;
3) The backstage should facilitate the make-up of 150-200 performers.
- Multi-functional theatre: the floor area should not exceed 6,200㎡. It is mainly designed to stage chamber music, small concert, small opera, small traditional opera, small dance, etc.
- Performance supporting rooms: the floor area should not exceed 18,000㎡, including rehearsal hall, supporting facilities for resident performing groups, workshop, centralized audio-visual production center, storage, etc.
Public service and cultural & creativity area: The floor area should not exceed 23,300㎡, including opera and dance drama documentation center, stage art museum, public hall, dining hall, and other operational supporting functions.
MEP and garage area: The floor area should not exceed 55,000㎡, including supporting facilities for resident performing groups, property management rooms, canteen, MEP rooms, garage, etc. The number of parking spaces is about 700.
Honorariums and Prizes
Eight invited design practices (consortia) will each receive an honorarium of RMB 1 million. Twelve design practices (consortia) shortlisted through the open call will each receive an honorarium of RMB 0.6 million.
Among the six design practices (consortia) shortlisted for concept development, the first-prize winner will be paid an additional RMB 3 million, each of the second-prize winners 1.8 million and each of the third-place winners 0.9 million.