Submission: May 14, 2018
Registration: April 30, 2018
Language: English, Spanish
Location: Viladecavalls, Spain
Prizes: Please see details below
Type: Drawing Competition
Abouthaus is an online platform which supports people who are building their own home by providing courses, helping make good decisions and assisting in finding a quality design. One of our main services is to use the well-known architectural competition model to find a quality house design.
Design a home that responds to the current demands of a family of 4 people who enjoy life in a natural environment and spending time outdoors, far – yet close to –the big city but without renouncing the comforts of a contemporary life.
The objective is to think not only about the formal resolution of the project, but also the ease of construction, possible future expansion and a high degree of energy efficiency.
The house is located on land with a steep slope and an amazing view of the most characteristic and emblematic mountain of Catalonia: Montserrat.
Architecture students, graduates or professional architects can register and participate in the contest.
Both individuals and groups (no more than 3 people) can participate.
Each participant may submit a single project and may not be part of more than one group.
Individual participants or groups can be from any country.
Anyone interested in the project may participate, regardless of age, country of origin, career or work previously done.
span class=”Apple-converted-space”> website.
In addition to the personal evaluation criteria of each member of the jury, the following variables will be evaluated:
• Integration of the project with the context and the sloping terrain.
• Reduce costs in land removal and retaining walls.
• Optimization of the HDS building system (proposal and potential expansion).
• Taking advantage of the view and a good orientation to the sun.
• Functionality: interpretation of the proposed program.
• Inclusion of bioclimatic design strategies.
• Potential for energy savings throughout the life of the house.
• Innovation and relevance of the proposal.
Each member of the jury will evaluate each submitted project following the same evaluation protocol. The final outcome of the competition will be based on the sum of the four individual evaluations
PRIZE: USD $2.000 + publication.
TIMELINES AND COSTS:
- First Stage: February 8 – March 23 (USD $80)
- Second Stage: March 24 – April 30 (USD $100)
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT THE PROPOSALS: May 14, 2018.
EVALUATION OF PROPOSALS: May 15 – June 15.
PUBLICATION OF WINNERS: JUNE 20, 2018
- Juli Llueca. Architect, Studio Vía 27. Figueres, Girona, Spain.
- Jose Iglesias. Architectutral Technitian. Founder of Control y Gestión de Obras. Pontevedra, Spain.
- Joan Riba. Architect responsible preliminary architectural design. Hormipresa, provider of the HDS construction system. Spain.
- The owners of the house. Spain.