Submission: September 10, 2019
Registration: June 28, 2019
Language: English, Korean
Location: Jeonju, Korea
Prizes: Please see details below
The intended outcome of this competition is to build a new Jeonju Station building, while conserving its major existing building(s). The new building must represent a future direction and vision for contemporary architecture, attentive to the environmental contexts of the city and traditional Korean culture.
2. Project Outline
● Location : 680, Dongbu-daero, Deokjin-gu, Jeonju-si, Republic of Korea
● Site Area : 68,877m2
● Design Scope : A railway station building (gross floor area of 3,300 m²) connected with the existing station, car park (385 lots at the least) integrated with commercial amenities, connecting circulation networks, traffic system facilities, a public square.
● Construction Cost (Estimated): KRW 34,000 million (including overhead expenses and VAT)
● Design Fee (Estimated): KRW 2,093 million (including VAT and BIM design fee, excluding electrical and communication design).
3. Competition Website
● This competition is open to domestic and international professionals in the field of architecture and all relevant areas. In the case of a joint application, a team can have a maximum of three (3) members.
● In the case of a joint application, one of the participants must be designated as a representative. The representative will have the authority over submission of all documents related to this competition, as well as the acquisition and renunciation of rights, on behalf of the joint applicants.
● As of the submission date, the representative and all team members must be licensed architects, registered in either Republic of Korea or other countries.
● It is not possible for foreign architect license holders to submit solely. In accordance with relevant laws and regulations, an international entrant must be partnered with a Korean architect license holder (a person who has a registered domestic architectural firm and has no ineligible qualities according to the relevant laws and regulations).
● For the winner, the authority of all design contracts will be a Korean licensed architect with a registered architectural firm in Republic of Korea. Where necessary, joint agreements with licensed partners in other fields must be made and submitted during design development.
● All entrants cannot submit more than one application.
● Stakeholders in organizing, planning, and operating this competition cannot enter.
5. Competition Schedule
● Announcement and guidelines distribution: Friday 31 May 2019.
● Registration: Friday 31 May – Friday 28 June by 17:00.
● Site visit and briefing: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 14:00 (will be announced on the official website).
● Reception of inquiries: Friday 5 July 2019.
● Response to inquiries: Friday 12 July 2019.
● Submission: Tuesday 10 September 2019 by 17:00.
● Assessment and selection: See below.
● Result notification: Thursday 26 September 2019.
*All dates and times are based on Korean Standard Time (UTC/GMT+9).
*The schedules are subject to change, and the notice of any changes will be posted on the website of the design competition.
*Participants are not obligated to attend the site visit and briefing.
*Please find more information at: http://www.jeonjustation.kr
6. Jury Committee
Hani Rashid (Asymptote Architecture)
Moon-Gyu Choi (Professor, Yonsei University)
Yoon-Gyoo Jang (Professor, Kookmin University)
Chanjoong Kim (The System Lab)
Peter Ferretto (Associate Professor, Chinese University of Hong Kong)
● Deputy Juror:
Byung-Chan Kim (Associate Professor, Korea National University of Arts)
● 1st prize (1 team): Granted the right to design development.
● 2nd prize (1 team): KRW 40,000,000 and an award certificate
● 3rd prize (1 team): KRW 20,000,000 and an award certificate.
● Honorable mention (2 teams): KRW 15,000,000 and an award certificate.