Submission: May 25, 2019
Registration: May 15, 2019
Language: English, Chinese
Location: Hebei, China
Prizes: Please see details below
Instead of being constrained by the simple and functionalist philosophy of connectivity, urban spaces of this particular historical background turn out to be multi-dimensional experiencing fields. Urban space quality has also become one of the important standards when evaluating a city. As an important part of the “The Second Hebei International Urban Planning and Design Competition”, “Planning and Design for Beautiful Hebei – The 2nd Q-City International College Student Design Competition (China·Xingtai)” revolves around the topic of “Quality City”, aiming at the transformation and improvement of urban quality.
Through the new humanistic spirit, it explores the ideas and methods of urban micro renewal, strives to enhance the value of existing factors through limited investment, precise design and persevering implementation strategies, and hopefully generates “huge” benefits with “small” intervention in the end.
In the future, the competition between cities will go beyond the traditional pattern and direction. This competition which advocates “Quality City”, is an exploration and attempt of transforming methods for urban public spaces. “Quality City” is intended to further enhance grade and characteristics of a city, show deeper potential inside the city, integrate spirit and culture of the city into the physical construction and development, and form the spiritual essence reflecting the identity of city, making more beautiful the buildings, more convenient the public services, and more delightful the living environment.
This international competition is based on Xingtai City’s actual context, which is full of historical heritage and development potential. Taking public spaces as the fulcrum, it is open to all college students, from home and abroad, in urban planning, architectural design, landscape design, art design and so on, and is aimed to solicit creative renewal proposals for urban microscopic spaces. The design content include 1) Urban Renovation, 2) Smart City Furniture, 3) Health & Sports Facilities, 4) Public Art Installations and other buildings or installations that can stimulate the vitality of city, offering new perspective, new stage and new focus for the richness and vividness of daily life. The prize-winning works will have the opportunity to be implemented in Xingtai City, and the final decision will be made by local government.
Basic Information about Xingtai
Xingtai is located in the southern part of Hebei province, located between 113°52′and 115°49′east longitude, between 36°50′and 37°47′north latitude. It covers 185 kilometers from east to west, 90 kilometers from north to south. It is adjacent to Shandong province in the east with Wei Canal as the boundary, west to Shanxi province, north and northeast to Shijiazhuang and Hengshui, south to Handan.
Xingtai falls into the category of warm temperate continental monsoon climate with four distinct seasons. It has frequent southwestern wind and drought in spring; hot with more rains in summer; mild weather in autumn and cold and dry in winter with frequent northwestern wind. The annual sunshine duration is between 2,500-2,650 hours. The annual average temperature is 11.7-13.4℃, 188 to 211 frost-free days. Rainfall increases accordingly along with plain, hilly and mountainous areas, with an average annual precipitation of 525.1 mm, which mostly concentrated in July, August and September, accounting for 70% of the total amount.
3. Tourist Source
Xingtai has a long history and it is the origin of Yangshao culture. This Land has bred a large number of great figures and events that have a great impact on China and the world, leaving behind a rich historical and cultural relic during the 3500-year-old civilization. There are 21 National Cultural Relic Protection Units and hundreds of Provincial and Municipal Key Cultural Relics Protection Units in the city. Besides, there are two National Scenic Spots, two State Geological Parks, two National Forest Parks, and two Famous Chinese Historical and Cultural Villages.
Sponsor: Hebei Provincial People’s Government
Organizer: Hebei Provincial Department of Housing & Urban-Rural Development, Xingtai Municipal People’s Government
Planning and Execution Unit: Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine
First Prize (1 team): Honor certificate + Bonus 100,000RMB (before tax, around 15,000USD)
Second Prize (4 teams): Honor certificate + Bonus 30,000RMB (before tax, around 4,500USD)
Third Prize (10 teams): Honor certificate + Bonus 10,000RMB (before tax, around 1,500USD)
Honorable Mentions (several teams): Honor certificate and UED magazine
1. Design Principles
1) Creativity: Create diverse and interesting places for Xingtai citizens and tourists. Design must be original;
2) Locality: Project should be designed with a comprehensive consideration of local history, culture, and natural environment of Xingtai with its regional features highlighted;
3) Sustainability: The sustainability of materials and operation should be considered;
4) Feasibility: The selection of material, and the form of construction should all be feasible;
5) People-orientation: Designs should fully consider diverse needs of different groups of people and provide citizens and tourists urban spaces for activities.
2. Design Category
The design category should be of great variety. Focusing on public spaces where people’s daily life occur, 15 nodes or plots such as squares, blocks, open spaces and public green spaces in Xingtai City and Expo Park are selected for design. They are:
(1) Urban Renovation
Eg. Food market, Public toilet, Parking lot, Snack bar, Electromobile stop
(2) Smart City Furniture
Eg. Digital information kiosks, Postal service & Newsstand, Express cabinet, Smart bus stop, Intelligent charging station, Intelligent dustbin.
(3) Health & Sports Facilities
Eg. Fitness facilities, Children recreational facilities
(4) Public Art Installations
Eg. Landscape sculpture, Cultural installation, Pavilion & Corridor, Flower stand & rockery, Light post, Seats, Dustbin
Participants can submit an independent work or a series of entries. Multiple entries are not accepted. The series works refer to the series of creations under the same theme, while production-oriented repetitive patchwork is discouraged.
(Please see the attachment of the micro-spatial site and preferable themes)
(1) This competition is open to university and college students from the fields of urban planning, architecture, landscape design, art design and relevant disciplines in form of individual or group participation. Each group should have no more than 5 members including 1 group leader, and the number of supervisors is limited to 2.
(2) For registration, please log in the competition website: http://qcityxingtai.uedmagazine.net, click “Registration” and fill in the information;
(3) Please keep the sole registration number properly after submitting the registration information online (the registration number is the telephone number which is submitted).
(1) The organizing committee shall provide basic information on the recommended sites; participants can select one from these sites.
(2) Participants are also encouraged to select sites and design theme by themselves, discovering and finding solutions for urban issues in a bottom-up approach under the theme of “Planning and Design for Beautiful Hebei”. Self-selected site should be real site in the city of Xingtai. Photos, satellite images and videos of the site are required in submission materials. Participants are required to consult the organizing committee on the specific condition of self-selected sites before design.
(3) Whether the participants choose the provided site or self-selected site has no influence on the jury review. (The information of the provided site can be downloaded from the official website)
All participants are required to submit digital files, including drawings and other information to email@example.com named as “Submission + Title of Work”. The organizing committee does not accept any hard copy. All design panels of participants will be printed in a unified format for jury review.
4. Jury Review
The final winning projects will be determined during the jury review.
(1) Please email your questions about the competition to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) The leader of a group should be the sole responsible contact person to the organization committee
1. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to email@example.com
2. Language: English
3. Scale and dimensions. Participants must adopt the Metric System.
4. Submission List:
(1) Specification: The layout of the 841mm x 594mm drawing panel should be horizontal. Each design project should be composed of 3 drawing panels including important demonstration of the idea (unqualified drawings will be invalid): such as a site plan that can fully express the design intention; other necessary plans, elevations and sections; perspective drawing, illustration and a brief design description of about 500 words (integrated in the pictures and drawings), photos of models (if any). There is no limitation on proportion.
(2) Appended materials (Design Texts, videos, etc.) can be submitted as auxiliary instructions of the design.
(1)Recognizable scanned copy of Passports and student card (of all team members if it is group registered) should be attached in the submission e-mail. Students themselves are responsible for the authenticity of all the documents.
(2) A TXT document named after participant(s)’ name(s) must be attached in the e-mails of the submission, which includes participants’ name, e-mail address, mobile phone number, name and contact information of the adviser (if any), the full name of the school and department, title and brief introduction of the submitted work.
(3) “The Declaration of Original Work” should be downloaded from the official website, and signed, scanned and submitted together with project.
6. Entry Requirements
(1) Please submit the drawing layout (300 dpi, long side is more than 1500 pixels) in the version of jpg. and name the picture according to the content (such as XXX plan 1)．
(2) Please submit the text information in TXT format in the folder named by the participant(s)’ name(s)．
1. Individual participants and groups shall agree with and follow the competition requirements and regulations. The organizing committee reserves its right of final interpretation.
2. Entries with words or pictures relating to the name or department of participants in the digital drawings will be disqualified from the competition.
3. Participants have the copyright, while the organization committee can exercise all other rights except authorship.
4. Entries will not be accepted if found to be published under others’ name or in other competitions.
5. Juries cannot act as advisers to participants; otherwise participants will be disqualified from the competition.
Mainland China: 010-56077246;
LIU Jing +86 18600687662；firstname.lastname@example.org
LIU Meijing: +86 18392504349；email@example.com
China Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and abroad:
Phoebe +86 18511537506；firstname.lastname@example.org
Wang Jiayue +86 13189714339；email@example.com
Competition Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Website: http:// qcityxingtai.uedmagazine.net
Contact information of Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine:
Company Address: Third floor, Inside-out Architecture Artist Colony, NO.50, Xingshikou Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.
Go to the competition’s website