Submission: September 30, 2018
Registration: September 25, 2018
Prizes: Please see details below
The growing issue of homeless people around the world is one that needs to be tackled on a war footing. As our cities grow, each of them are occupied by a diverse narrative of migrants who make the city their home. A third of all urban dwellers worldwide – 1.2 billion people – lack access to safe and secure housing.
The gap is worst in lower and middle income countries, where some cities are growing so quickly that governments cannot build out services and infrastructure fast enough to accommodate new arrivals. The result is millions living in inadequate conditions and fraying trust in governments.
We aim to impact at least one needful family by using design as a tool to create sustainable and affordable product. We are focusing on 4 major problems faced by homeless migrants :
• Affordability : Access to safe and secure housing which is easy on pocket and doesn’t brand itself as housing for the poor but an asset which is useful for everyone.
• Mobility & Portability : Floating population/seasonal migrants, who might not want to invest in property — an immovable illiquid asset, no matter how subsidized or cheap it is, we need a mobile/portable solution which is designed with innovative technologies.
• Sustainability and Scale-ability : A design solution which sustains not just the weather conditions but is easy to maintain and can be replicated to bring a scale-able change.
• Economic Opportunity : Can this new product design generate revenue either for the Individual/family living in it or the government?
A good modular design concept can definitely save up a lot and the productivity will be much higher in modular design, thus the tenements can be delivered on time.
• A small house for a family of 4 members not exceeding an area of 250 SqrFt and maximum height of 12 feet, the lesser the area – the better. The shape of the house is not restricted but it shouldn’t exceed the total cubic feet volume (250 SqrFt. X 12 Ft.).
• Basic amenities like sleeping area for 4 members, Kitchen and toilet to be provided.
• Not necessarily but design a product which is movable, portable and affordable. A design so efficient which can be carried, transported, fixed and dismantled when needed.
• You have to design a small housing colony for 50 families, combining one module with other similar modules. Your modular design should create an impact by solving the mass housing problem.
• The area for the colony is not restricted and you can grow either horizontally or vertically.