Submission: September 6, 2021
Registration: September 6, 2021
Prizes: Please see details below
This is your challenge: design a home that adds value to people’s lives, using “The Vulcan”, ICON’s 3D Printer. Propose an idea that explores the possibilities of 3D printing to achieve a breakthrough in architecture, design unconventional forms.
With the advent of the internet, we can access all the information in the world within a blink of an eye, in contrast to spending hours long in the library. Do you think that 3D printing can have a similar effect on construction technology? Do you believe that it can be the way forward?
In this fast-paced world, 3D printing can completely change the way in which architects design buildings. It opens up endless possibilities in design, at lower costs and swift execution. It is no less than a revolution!
At DesignClass we are passionate about exploring how design can have a positive impact on people’s lives. 3D printing is not just a tool for faster construction, it is an efficient medium that makes sustainable fabrication possible at affordable costs. Think of the ways it can enrich people’s lives- through affordable housing, pavilions at public spaces, or a cozy cabin for a weekend getaway.
- The home’s design should be within 2000 square feet with a maximum width of 28 feet, this is Vulcan’s printing capability. It is possible to reposition the printer to build up the home in sections.
- The 3D printed design has to be limited to a single story. If you wish to go beyond that, you can use other construction techniques.
- Vulcan is capable of printing walls up to a height of 8.5 feet. It prints a 1” tall and 2” wide bead. The linear horizontal operating speed is 5-7” per second. The material used is Icon’s proprietary Lavacrete. Consider these specifications while designing.
- Design a form that would otherwise be difficult and tedious to execute with traditional forms of construction. ‘
- You can choose a site you like- explore various terrains.
Grand Prize: $1,000
All approved submissions will be judged by a panel of anonymous designers. This panel will determine the Grand Prize Winner.
Designer’s Choice Award
All approved submissions will be opened to public voting. This public voting will be live on our blog, goDiscoverDesign.com until July 26, 2021. The submission with the most verified votes will be deemed the Designer’s Choice Award winner.
- All text must be in English
- Must be an original work, created by the submitter
- One design submission per registration
- You may work as an individual or in a group or team
- DesignClass reserves the right to suspend the competition and refund entry fees.
- Participants retain all rights to their submissions.
- Participants grant DesignClass license to publish submissions online and in print.
- Open to anyone from anywhere