Submission: January 11, 2021
Registration: January 10, 2021
Location: Coleford, United Kingdom
The challenge of this competition is to design a treehouse that offers people a place to stay and experience the forest as an integral part of it. The aim is to explore and innovate the concept of a treehouse by understanding not just the human requirements of space but also of the tree. So, through your creativity and imagination, show us how your treehouse looks.
Even though this development has imposed certain constraints on us, it has given us opportunities to visit and stay at places where we never thought we would even be able to live.
Like the forest. No, not outside or on the outskirts of it. But right in the middle of it. How? By building a treehouse. As if we want to experience nature, we have to go and experience it like a part of it. And what can be a better part of nature than a tree?
1. Consideration towards nature: The basic requirement is to create a ‘Context Conscious design’ as the main purpose of this competition is to experience nature through close proximity, but without harming/modifying/degrading the forest in any manner.
Understand the context including the types of trees grown, their size, height, width, span. Which can help in estimating the scale of the design.
Find out other general but not specific details about flora and fauna that need to be thought of when building it inside them.
2. Consideration towards humans: The people that are going to visit this place are going to have two main purposes which are mainly: First being in proximity with nature/trek/experience space and second is to stay and experience what it is like to be living on a tree. To understand the basic ancillary facilities that are needed to be provided to have a comfortable experience and explore the kind of design they need in order to experience it from a stationary house.
3. Materials/construction/Technology: Developing an understanding of Local materials and systems that is in tune with nature. A basic structural system is to be proposed that ensures the practical buildability of the structure.
The above objectives can be a point of beginning to conceive this design. The treehouse has to be conceived for 4 people at a time.
- The minimum eligible age for participation is 18 years.
- The competitions are open worldwide for designers from any discipline.
- You can participate as an individual or as a team of a maximum of 4 members.
- All students and professionals can participate in the competitions.