Submission: September 8, 2021
Registration: September 8, 2021
Prizes: Please see details below
Type: Open, Built
Sponsored by the American Institute of Steel Construction, the Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel (IDEAS²) Award program recognizes projects that illustrate the exciting possibilities of building with structural steel. The IDEAS² awards showcase the innovative use of structural steel in
- the accomplishment of the structure’s program
- the expression of architectural intent
- the application of innovative design approaches to the structural system
- leveraging productivity-enhancing construction methods
AISC’s award programs have celebrated landmark structures built with structural steel since 1960. These architectural icons span generations and stand the test of time. AISC recognizes and promotes these projects in recognition of their impact in terms of structural innovation, advances in safety, benefit to the local community, and environmental consciousness.
While many of the winners are landmark structures, the awards program also honors smaller, less well-known projects. What all of the winners share is a commitment to innovation and imaginative design!
The judges will consider the project’s use of structural steel from both an architectural and structural engineering perspective, with an emphasis on:
- creative solutions to the project’s program requirements
- application of innovative design approaches in areas such as connections, gravity systems, lateral load resisting systems, fire protection, and blast resistance
- aesthetic and visual impact of the project, particularly in the coordination of structural steel elements with other materials
- innovative uses of architecturally exposed structural steel (AESS)
- advances in the use of structural steel either technically or in architectural expression
- use of innovative design and construction methods such as 3D building models, interoperability, early integration of specialty contractors such as steel fabricators, alternative methods of project delivery, or other productivity enhancements
- sustainable design
- Any member of a project’s team can submit it for an IDEAS² award. However, a fabricator, erector, detailer, or other firm eligible for AISC Full or Associate membership submitting a project themselves must be an AISC member in good standing at the time of entry.
- New buildings, expansions, and renovation projects (major retrofits and rehabilitations) are eligible.
- Building projects in the 2020 competition must be located in the U.S. and must be completed (either occupied or ready for occupancy) between Jan. 1, 2019, and Sept. 8, 2021.
- At least 50% of the structural steel for the project must have been produced and fabricated in the U.S. by a company eligible for AISC full membership, or a unique or distinctive feature of the project must have been fabricated by a company eligible for AISC full membership, in a facility located in the U.S.
- A significant portion of the framing system of a building must be wide-flange or hollow structural steel sections (HSS).
- Pedestrian bridges entered in the competition must be an intrinsic part of a building and not stand-alone structures. If you would like to submit a bridge project, we encourage you to enter the National Steel Bridge Alliance’s 2022 Prize Bridge Awards.