Submission: August 31, 2020
Registration: August 30, 2020
Prizes: Please see details below
Museum of Design Oslo Contest by Switch“Evolution of mankind is a result of his ability to design.” The field of Design is defined by the areas where design process can be applied: architecture, urban space, clothing, furniture, consumer products, printed materials, digital interfaces, social structures, websites etc. But design encompasses much more than form and function. Design is not a being, but an event, it is not a thing but an impact.
Design is born out of our desire to elevate our experiences, both practically and emotionally. Design encourages us to explore and experiment, and thus transcend into an improved world. Human ability to use design as an expressive system and a process to develop solutions is evident all the way from primitive times. Despite its diversity w.r.t to different areas of intervention, design is omnipresent and invisible.
Whether we’re aware of it or not, design surrounds us, and can be found in the tiniest of places and forms. It’s three-pronged impact: experiential, aesthetic and social has created various styles and movements throughout history which has had a profound impact on the growth of men and society in general.
The aim of this competition is to create an iconic ‘Museum of Design’ in Oslo that would celebrate the domain of design and become a fitting tribute to the field as a whole. Design has been largely neglected as a museological domain worldwide, apart from some certain sections in major art museums dedicated to individual designers. Entering into a new decade, the ‘Museum of Design’ must generate awareness and reflect upon the journey of design through time. The Museum of Design must become an archive and a hub for development of future design movements and innovations.
Museum of Design should encompass all the major design areas under a single envelope and make a powerful statement. The Museum of Design should narrate the process and effort behind design in a powerful manner so that people can observe and appreciate its profound impact. The museum should create a timeline w.r.t specific design fields where people can experience its impact on society. The spatial and architectural manifestation of the journey/story should be an immersive experience for people so that they can absorb the information easily.
Design Museum must be a place where people who love design can meet. It should become an architectural icon for the city of Oslo where people can converge and talk about design. The museum should also insert learning centers and convention areas for biennale etc. apart from its usual archival programs so that it can give back to the people of the city
Prizes worth EUR 2500 are up for claim with the distribution as follows:
FIRST PRIZE: EUR 1200
SECOND PRIZE: EUR 800
THIRD PRIZE: EUR 500
Apart from the winners, the jury will select ’10 Editors’ Choices’ who will be featured on our website and several other international magazines and websites across the world. The winners and Editors’ Choices will be provided with an honorary certificate.
The competition is open to everyone in the world (architects, students, engineers etc.). You can participate individually or in a team. A team can have a maximum of three members only.
Early registration: – 1st June 2020- 31st July 2020
- For foreign nationals: 60 EUR + taxes (PER TEAM)
- For Indian nationals: 1800 INR + taxes (PER TEAM)
Standard registration: – 1st August 2020- 30th August 2020
- For foreign nationals: 80 EUR + taxes (PER TEAM)
- For Indian nationals: 2100 INR + taxes (PER TEAM)
Submission deadline: 31st August 2020
Result: 25th September 2020
*All deadlines are 11:59 PM- 00:00 IST (India)
- Participants may register by filling the registration form and submitting it with appropriate payment through our secure payment gateways at www.switchcompetition.com
- The participants will receive their teamcode within 48 hours of completing the payment successfully.
- Teamcode will be sent primarily to the email address provided to PAYUMONEY/PAYPAL.
Group discounts apply for a minimum of 5 teams from one particular architecture school/university as our initiative to promote more participation from students. Send us the following details at firstname.lastname@example.org to avail the offer.
- Names of all the participating team members and their respective team leaders.
- Name of the university.
- School ID proofs of the team leaders.
It will not be possible to amend or update any information relating to your registration including the names of team members once validated.
- Switch reserves the right to modify the competition schedule if deemed necessary.
- Participant teams will be disqualified if any of the competition rules or submission requirements are not considered. Participation assumes acceptance of the regulations.
- Team code is the only means of identification of a team as it is an anonymous competition.
- The official language of the competition is English.
- The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Contacting the Jury is prohibited.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please see the terms and conditions section on www.switchcompetition.com
This is an open international competition hosted by Switch to generate progressive design ideas. There are no plans for any proposal to be built. The competition is organized for education purpose only.