Submission: February 25, 2022
Registration: February 25, 2022
Prizes: Please see details below
Type: Student Competition
FUTURARC PRIZE (FAP) 2022 asks how corporate/private/state-owned entities in Asia could be reinterpreted as civic/public spaces that are good, inviting, safe and sustainable. Could we turn them, for example, into: high-rise community farms to contribute to the local food supply; solar PV or hydro farms that feed power back to the local grid that are also sites for public amenities; or parks with play and learning areas for children, or communal facilities for the elderly?
FAP 2022 asks students to submit ideas to reinterpret an existing built entity as a public property that is safe, inviting, sustainable and gives back to the community.
Buildings sitting empty have become a more common sight for the past year due to the current health crisis. This is especially so for commercial developments such as office towers and retail malls, as well as cultural or institutional places such as museums and theatre halls. What should we do about these buildings that still have the bones and structural integrity to support activities and life? Could we reinterpret these entities for the public good?
- Pick a city in Asia. This may be a city where you live or one that you are familiar with.
- Choose a current project with a site area of up to 100,000 square metres (10 hectares), with an existing underutilised/empty building. At the point of submission, this must be the case and entrants should provide the actual images of the site or the geographical coordinates. Both privately and government owned project sites are acceptable.
- Understand the potential impact of reinterpreting this project on the community & the environment—this means firstly understanding the project’s current architecture & structure before evaluating the motivation for reinterpreting it with a new function.
- Decide on reinterpretation. Propose new elements & networks that will help achieve the project’s new goals.
- All winners will be awarded with the FuturArc Prize Trophy and the following cash prizes*.
- First Place: Cash prize of SGD8,000 plus 2-year subscription to FuturArc app
- Second Place: Cash prize of SGD3,500 plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app
- Third Place: Cash prize of SGD2,000 plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app
- Citations (up to 12 citations will be given): SGD500 each plus 1-year subscription to FuturArc app