Submission: March 22, 2022
Registration: March 21, 2022
Prizes: Please see the details below
‘Grace’ is an architecture design competition that aims to invite ideas for a cultural dance center that can contribute to the promotion of local dance forms. Dance is one of the forms of cultural expression of human civilization. These cultural forms protect the traditions and values of a society and pass on stories and beliefs to generations. Cultural expressions also become a shared aspect of a community, strengthening a sense of collective identity. Similarly, they communicate the cultures of a region to the world. The competition encourages designers to create a structure that can act as a forum for learning and exhibiting cultural dance forms for locals and tourists alike. It also makes you ponder on how physical spaces can facilitate the expression and dissemination of local cultures.
Brief: The challenge of the competition is to design a cultural dance center that is used as a learning and performance space by locals as well as other visitors.
The spaces should be designed to accommodate all dance-related activities. The space aims to promote the local dance forms endemic to the region by creating a forum for its exhibition to citizens. The multi-functional spaces can be altered and used for a range of activities.
The cultural center will animate the neighbourhood area and be a landmark for social engagement. It must be accessible to all users and the spatial design must provide comfort and convenience for professionals, spectators, and enthusiasts.
The aim of the design competition is to design a centre that shows movement in architectural form as well as its spaces. The design must consider the local context and its constraints. The local dance forms and cultural history can be taken as an inspiration for the design of the structure.
Concept: The design of form and space can be inspired by dance forms and local culture.
Landmark: The visual impact must be exemplary with standout features.
Balance: Privacy and interaction must be guided in the layout as per the nature of the activity. The balance between aesthetics and functionality, as well as open, semi-open, and closed learning spaces.
Context: The design must respond to the (existing) site conditions. The wider socio-cultural, economic and environmental settings are to be considered in the design approach.
The site is in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It is a multicultural city and is a popular destination for immigrants and tourists around the world. Dancing is a staple of the local culture in Argentina. Buenos Aires is an epicentre of the tango dance form and other cultural dances rooted in Latin culture. The dance forms in the region have been influenced by immigrants around the world.
The site is located in the neighbourhood of San Telmo. It consists of commercial establishments and the locality is enriched with street murals and art galleries. The tourist attraction of Plaza Dorrego with street performers attracts tourists every weekend. Upscale dinner venues are incorporating live dance shows to promote culture, which makes the area suitable for this typology.
The following programmatic outline is the point to begin your design at. The maximum areas to be provided for different activities are mentioned below. You can add more functions and activities in relevance or modify the given design program.
- Dance studios (5 nos/60 sq.m each.), Bath with sauna and fitness ~ 400 sq.m
- Dance club, Auditorium (performance space) ~ 500 sq.m
- Café, cafeteria, restaurant ~ 200 sq.m
- Specialist store, Office spaces, administration ~ 300 sq.m
- Apartment for choreographers ~ 300 sq.m
- External studios, open-air theatre, courtyards, and other outdoor spaces to be incorporated.
- Under additional resources, which you will receive after registration, you will be provided with a submission sheets template.
- Submit JPEG images only.
- Ensure that the final sheets submitted do not include your name or any other mark of identification.
- Mention sheet number on the corner of every sheet.
- All the sheets or images will be viewed on a digital device. e.g. Laptop screen or projector. Uploaded sheets or images will not be physically printed for evaluation. The submission hence should be prepared for digital viewing only.
- Tip: Remember that your sheets will have to convey your ideas. Try using comprehensive presentation techniques; use images, illustrations, sketches, views, diagrams, text, etc. to express the design fully. For example, use exploded views to discuss multi-leveled conceptual models better.
- The minimum eligible age for participation is 18 years.
- The competitions are open worldwide for designers from any discipline.
- You can participate as an individual or as a team of maximum of 4 members.
- All students and professionals can participate in the competitions.
- For Students: A student is someone who is currently enrolled in a full-time graduate/undergraduate program at a university anywhere in the world on the date of registration. We will need proof of identity upon the result declaration. The proof of identity should clearly state that you were enrolled in the institution at the time of registration. You may also produce a bonafide/authorized certificate from the institution as proof of identity. Students are allowed to involve one mentor/professor/guide in their team provided the mentor has been authorized via a bonafide certificate of the University.
- All the participants who do not belong to the student category will be considered professionals by default.
- Institutional access is a program for students only if they are participating in the competition as a group of 20 people and want to submit 5-20 entries together. Institutional access has to be done under the guidance of a mentor/professor.
- A team with even one professional will be considered as a professional entry.
Cash+Crafted Trophy & certificate + UNI Year Book Copy + UNI Merchandise + Insignia + Opportunity to associate with UNI as a curator
Cash+Crafted Trophy & certificate + UNI Year Book Copy + UNI Merchandise+Insignia
Cash+Crafted certificate + Insignia
Cash+Crafted certificate + Insignia