Submission: April 12, 2022
Registration: April 11, 2022
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Prizes: Please see the details below
Type: Open Competition
The tourism industry is on an all-time high owing to the shift in the work lifestyle of people in the present context. Urban residents have a sedentary and work-intensive way of living, where vacation presents itself, as an alluring escape. Travelling offers a respite from a busy schedule and also gives the opportunity to experience a new culture in a new setting. With the rising popularity of travelling, more cities are equipping themselves with amenities or attraction features that are conducive for tourism.
Design an art hotel that creates a conducive environment for the promotion of local culture as well as adds a unique element to the hotel accommodation experience.
The design can be inspired by the local art and culture of the region it is set in. The hotel must consist of art-related activity spaces like a gallery, exhibition hall and so on. The design must establish a connection with the surrounding areas.
The art hotel design will become a part of the cultural landscape of the region. Since the building will be visited by residents staying at the hotel and outside visitors, access points must be appointed accordingly for security and privacy reasons.
The aim of an art hotel is to design the hotel around the art which it presents. The experience of a hotel is elevated with creative storytelling through architectural spaces. A successful collaboration can be achieved between local art organisations and private hotel investors.
Landmark: The design of the art hotel must be inviting and exemplary features must create a standout visual impact.
Balance: Art should not remain a filler but influence the design of the space around it. At the same time, art must not overwhelm the living spaces in the hotel.
Comfort: The public-private domain spaces must be allocated accordingly. The well-being of the users must be the top priority while facilitating the hotel with services.
Context: The richness and diversity of the site context must be portrayed in the form and space design of the proposal.
Barcelona city in Spain is a palette that is a blend of vibrant and distinct cultures from all over the globe. It has a marvellous landscape of art and architecture, with modern trends and local traditions. The city draws major tourism, for both nature and culture intensive experiences.
The art scene of the city is dynamic. Besides the many art galleries and museums, the urban spaces around the city are a canvas for public art by world-famous artists. The local artists showcase their work in public plazas all over the city.
The site can be accessed via Carrer de Bilbao or Carrer del Marroc road. Located in the neighbourhood of Sant Marti, it is surrounded by residential and commercial sites. It is opposite the Parc Central del Poblenou, a popular tourist site designed by Jean Nouvel.
- The minimum eligible age for participation is 18 years.
- The competitions are open worldwide for designers from any discipline.
- You can participate as an individual or as a team of a maximum of 4 members.
- All students and professionals can participate in the competitions.
- For Students: A student is someone who is currently enrolled in a full-time graduate/undergraduate program at a university anywhere in the world on the date of registration. We will need proof of identity upon the result declaration. The proof of identity should clearly state that you were enrolled in the institution at the time of registration. You may also produce a bonafide/authorized certificate from the institution as proof of identity. Students are allowed to involve one mentor/professor/guide in their team provided the mentor has been authorized via a bonafide certificate of the University.
- All the participants who do not belong to the student category will be considered professionals by default. Ph.D. candidates will also be considered professionals.
- Institutional access is a program for students only if they are participating in the competition as a group of 20 people and want to submit 5-20 entries together. Institutional access has to be done under the guidance of a mentor/professor.
- A team with even one professional will be considered as a professional entry.
Awards and Fees
This competition works on a dynamic prize-to-fees model. As the number of registrations increases, the registration fees will also increase. This means, the earlier you register, the less you pay to participate.
Similarly, the final prize money increases with growing numbers of participants. A total of 500 registrations are accepted in the competition until its last deadline. If a competition receives 500 registered participants, the total prize pool will be closed at 24,000 USD. So, the more teams you compete with, the higher the thrill, and the higher the prize amount.
Winner 6000 USD
Cash+Crafted Trophy & certificate + UNI Year Book Copy + UNI Merchandise + Insignia + Opportunity to associate with UNI as a curator
Runner – Up 6 x 1400 USD
Cash+Crafted Trophy & certificate + UNI Year Book Copy + UNI Merchandise+Insignia
People’s Choice 4 x 600 USD
Cash+Crafted certificate + Insignia
Honorable Mention 12 x 600 USD
Cash+Crafted certificate + Insignia