Submission: December 19, 2019
Registration: December 19, 2019
Prizes: Please see details below
The Ville de Montréal is launching an international multidisciplinary urban design competition for the development of Place de l’Avenue McGill College. This public square will be created by pedestrianizing Avenue McGill College over its full length, comprising four sections, from Rue Cathcart to Rue Sherbrooke Ouest.
The aim of the competition is to select a spatial design concept for the entirety of Place de l’Avenue McGill College. The concept must meet and even surpass the City’s expectations regarding the challenges posed by the Project that is the subject of the competition, and which are described in the Competition Program. At the end of the competition, the jury will select and recommend a winner and, subject to approval by the relevant municipal authorities, the City will award the winner a contract to provide the professional services required to complete the project.
Those professional services include:
- For Phases 1 and 2, finalization of the overall design and construction plan;
- For Phase 1 (between Rue Cathcart and Boulevard De Maisonneuve Ouest), finalizing the design, preparing the plans and estimates, and providing technical assistance during the construction work for the surface redesign and upgrading of underground infrastructures; and
- For Phase 2 (between Boulevard De Maisonneuve Ouest and Rue Sherbrooke Ouest), providing guidance to the City on the detailed design and implementation.
The construction budget for design and construction plus underground infrastructures for Phase 1 of the Project (between Rue Cathcart and Boulevard De Maisonneuve Ouest) is $16,120,110 excluding taxes, inflation as well as the design and construction provision amounts.
For information purposes, and to enable the competitors and finalists to develop an overall concept encompassing the four sections of the avenue, the construction budget for design and construction plus underground infrastructures for Phase 2 (between Boulevard De Maisonneuve Ouest and Rue Sherbrooke Ouest) is $13,749,733 excluding taxes, inflation as well as the design and construction provision amounts.
TYPE OF COMPETITION
This competition is:
- A multidisciplinary urban design competition;
- International in scope;
- Held in three stages: the first involving anonymous proposals; the second involving service offerings submitted by a maximum of five finalists chosen after the first stage by the jury; and the third involving complementary service offerings submitted by two grand finalists chosen after the second stage by the jury.;
- A project competition leading to a contract to execute the project.
All competitors are invited to submit their anonymous proposal, presenting an overall idea of the project aspirations in accordance with the objectives of the competition.
The jury will retain a maximum of five proposals. This first stage is anonymous and unpaid.
The finalists attend an information meeting, and are then invited to expand upon their idea and present their service offering to the jury at a public hearing. At the end of this stage, which is paid, the jury will either recommend one winner and one runner-up, or select two grand finalists to proceed to a third stage.
Stage 3 (optional)
Upon request by the jury, the grand finalists will be invited to submit their complementary service offering, addressing the concerns expressed by the jury. At the end of this stage, which is paid, the jury will select and recommend to the city on winner and one runner-up.