Submission: April 30, 2019
Registration: April 30, 2019
Location: Orlando, Florida
Prizes: Please see details below
On June 12, 2016 the largest and deadliest act of violence affecting LGBTQ+ people, and one of the deadliest terrorist attacks by a single gunman in modern American history occurred at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida. A total of 49 people’s lives were taken that night, 68 others were injured, and hundreds were left permanently affected from the trauma.
In the aftermath, the Orlando community and the world came together to prove that love will overcome fear and hatred. Under this banner, the onePULSE Foundation, an educational nonprofit, was created to memorialize this tragedy and ensure that Pulse’s legacy of love, acceptance and hope will never be lost.
The National Pulse Memorial & Museum International Design Competition challenges architects across the globe to create an iconic memorial and museum on the site of the Pulse nightclub and nearby properties. This project will also include a pedestrian pathway, called Survivors Walk, that will trace the three-block journey many victims and survivors took the night of the tragedy to get to the Orlando Regional Medical Center.
The National Pulse Memorial will be a sanctuary of hope and healing; the Pulse Museum will educate, enlighten, inspire reflection, and start conversations that will change mindsets. Survivors Walk will be an open public space that tells the Pulse story and have a positive urban impact. These three distinct elements will be integrated into one recognizable destination. The National Pulse Memorial & Museum will be a tribute to all those affected, will engage and educate visitors from around the world, and will serve as a catalyst for positive change.
The National Pulse Memorial & Museum International Design Competition is an open, international, two stage design competition run by the leading independent architect selection firm, Dovetail Design Strategists.
Stage I: Request for Qualifications invites architects from around the world to form and lead a visionary, multi-disciplinary team with urban designers, landscape architects, exhibition designers, and artists. Upon evaluation of the RFQ submissions, onePULSE Foundation will select up to six firms and their proposed teams to participate in Stage II.
Stage II: Design Competition invites the selected, shortlisted teams to develop a concept design for the project. An honorarium of $50,000 will be paid to each of the shortlisted teams who have met onePULSE’s Stage II requirements, payable upon selection of a winning team.
There will be a public exhibition of the shortlisted design team submissions in September 2019 at the Orange County Regional History Center in Orlando, Florida, and an opportunity for the public to share their comments. There will be a digital exhibition of the shortlisted teams’ proposals on the onePULSE competition website.
In October 2019, a winning design team will be selected by a Jury that includes:
- Mayra Alvear, Victim’s Liaison, Mother of Amanda Alvear, Task Force Advisory Council, onePULSE
- Mark Cosgrove, Board of Trustees onePULSE, Partner, Capital Strategies
- Earl Crittenden, Chair, Board of Trustees onePULSE, GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Yolande Daniels, Principal, studioSUMO
- Mayor Jerry Demings, Orange County, Florida
- Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orlando, Florida
- Hilary Lewis, Board of Trustees onePULSE, Chief Curator & Creative Director, The Glass House
- Teresa Jacobs, School Board Chair, Orange County Public Schools, former Orange County Mayor
- George A. Kalogridis, Vice Chair, Board of Trustees onePULSE, President, Walt Disney World
- Ricardo J. Negron-Almodovar, Survivor, Service Legal Coordinator, Latino Justice Southeast Office
- Barbara Poma, Owner, Pulse Nightclub, Founder & CEO of onePULSE
- Andrew Snyder, Board of Trustees, onePULSE, S.V.P., Orlando Health
- Laurinda Spear, Co-Founder, Arquitectonica, Principal, ArquitectonicaGEO
- Sarah Whiting, Dean, Rice University School of Architecture, Principal WW Architecture
- Susanna Sirefman, Competition Director and Jury Advisor, President, Dovetail Design Strategists
The competition website and downloadable RFQ are available in both English and Spanish.
Stage I: Request for Qualifications
March 25, 2019 RFQ Release
April 30, 2019 Qualifications Due 3 p.m. EST
Late May, 2019 Shortlist Announced
Stage II: Design Competition (for invited Shortlist only)
Late May, 2019 Design Brief Release
Late October, 2019 Winning Team Announced
Go to the competition’s website