Submission: July 12, 2019
Registration: June 14, 2019
Language: English, Mandarin
Prizes: Please see details below
The Korean Institute of Architects (KIA) is pleased to announce the Shelter for Soul campaign and Shelter for Soul International Design & Installation Competition.
The main goal of this competition is to provide an opportunity for the public and students to understand the situation of the less-cared individual in our societies and to interact with those who are concerned with people desperately seeking a ‘shelter’ for oneself.
“Everybody wants, rich or poor, not only a warm dry room,
but a shelter for the soul.”
This is Samuel Mockbee’s legacy. Under the motivation of helping the less-cared in contemporary societies throughout the world, this Competition aims at exploring design and interpretations about the concept of ‘shelter’. As a shelter generally refers to an emergency gathering place for the victims of disasters, we ask our applicants to go further in their understanding, towards emotional comfort, and beyond simple physical function.
MAIN THEME : Soul Shelter for One “Can space heal ?” Design a physical environment for the Soul
– Grand prize: US $10,000 + certificate of merit
– First / Second / Third prize: Certificate of merit + prize gift
– Honorable mention: 6-11 works, certificate of merit + prize gift
ELIGIBILITY of ENTRY
(1) International entries are welcome.
(2) We invite everyone, irrespective of their professions or qualifications, to join the competition. Individual & Team entries allowed. A team can have a maximum of 3 participants.
1. 01 May 2019~ 14 June 2019: registration period
2. 12 July 2019 11:59 p.m., design submission deadline
3. 20 July 2019 ~ 04 August 2019: exhibition in Seoul Center for Architecture & Urbanism (SCA)
4. 07 / 09~20 September 2019: results announcement and award ceremony / installation exhibition
※ based on the Korea Standard Time (UTC/GMT+9)
Jooyun Kim / Shuhei Endo / Katsuhiro Miyamoto / Kiok Lee / Taro Igarashi / Sujin Chung / Min W. Suh / Kyungen Kim / Young-chul Jang / Akinobu Yoshikawa
Host : KIA (Korean Institute of Architects)
Official sponsor : UIA (International Union of Architects)
Organizer : BaMI (Builders as Mission International)
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Language : English
One board layout A1 size & Design statement of 500 words (A4 / 1 page)
After being selected at the initial jury, the design must be available to install in the public place.