Submission: May 13, 2016
Registration: May 13, 2016
Prizes: 1st Prize: $5,000 (CND)
The goal of the Ship Point Pop-Up Design Competition is to temporarily transform Ship Point Plaza into a magnetic, creative, and social ‘pop-up’ public space during the 2016 summer season.
Ship Point Plaza is located at the heart of Victoria’s Inner Harbour, roughly at the intersection of Wharf Street and Humboldt Street. Together with the adjacent surface parking lot, the Ship Point Plaza hosts some of Victoria’s largest events and festivals, including the Victoria International Buskers Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, Jazz Fest and Blues Bash.
Outside of these festival dates, the competition site is currently an underutilized flat paved plaza with breathtaking views of the surrounding harbour. In the long-term, the site has been identified to host a permanent, high-quality public space that will continue to host festivals and special events.
The City of Victoria invites qualified teams and individuals to submit design concepts to unleash the possibilities of this public space this summer, creating an inviting and memorable destination that draws people to connect with others, and take in the beauty of the harbour.
The purpose of the Ship Point Pop-Up Design Competition is to select a team to design, build and install a temporary or “pop-up” public space to make Ship Point Plaza a more vibrant, unique, memorable and welcoming space that will encourage people to socialize, explore and wander. This competition is an important initiative in creating a more inviting space at Ship Point, as described in the Harbour Vitality Principles and also as a way to support the completion of the David Foster Harbour Pathway. This competition will also provide the opportunity to showcase exemplary design within an iconic waterfront setting.
Anyone may enter this competition, however, criteria and submission requirements lend themselves to expertise in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, industrial design, contemporary art and other related fields.
Design teams from outside of Canada are permitted to provide a submission. If selected, it is expected that international applicants will have the required Canadian tax documents and insurance requirements in place to complete additional design, development and installation.
- Teams based outside of Canada are encouraged to include a local representative that is able to manage the delivery, installation and removal of the project.
- All travel expenses must be covered within the project budget; no additional funds will be provided for travel expenses.
- Entries are encouraged by design teams that have a range of skill sets and expertise.
- Jurors and the organizations they represent are not eligible to enter the competition. City Councillors, officers, and employees of the City of Victoria are not eligible to enter the competition.
• The winning design will be selected by a Jury and the winning team will receive a $5,000 (CND) award and $35,000 (CND) toward the design refinement, structural engineer review, materials, fabrication, installation and removal.
Excluding the $5,000 (CND) award, the total cost to the City of Victoria of the design, build and installation may not exceed the total project budget of $35,000 (CND). Entrants with a budget exceeding this amount assume full responsibility to cover additional costs. All entrants assume liability for all costs incurred in participating
in the competition. The project budget is inclusive and is not eligible to cover any additional fees for travel or disbursements.