Submission: August 30, 2014
Registration: August 24, 2014
Prizes: 1st Prize € 3.000 2nd Prize € 2.000 3rd Prize € 1.000
Type: Open competition for architects and architecture students.
Throughout the entire period of its existence, humankind was developing numerous methods of elimination of each other and with invention of the nuclear weapons this desire has endangered the being itself.
Matterbetter researches how the design community in contemporary world can contribute to making this world a little safer and more friendly.
Matterbetter invites architects and designers to participate in open-ideas competition that aims to explore the architectural potential and transform the biggest nuclear submarine ever built into a peaceful architectural object.
Matterbetter is researching possibilities of the re-use and transformation of one of the symbols of the Cold War, Typhoon Class submarine, through the series of design competitions on three different scales: architectural, interior and product.
The main objectives of the competition are:
- to explore architectural potential and possibilities for the re-use of the nuclear submarine;
- to provide the maximum freedom of design decision making to all participants;
- to generate discussion in the professional environment;
- to create a solution database;
- to inspire and stimulate imagination of the design community;
- and last, but not the least – to make a world a better place.