Submission: August 12, 2015
Registration: June 02, 2015
Language: English, Korean
Location: Seoul, Korea
Prizes: 1st Prize: 3x 100mln WON, 2nd Prize: 5x 30mln WON
Seoul, the capital of Republic of Korea, has experienced a tremendously rapid growth and became an international city of 2,000 years of history. South Korea played a leading role as the organizer and chair in the fifth G20 Summit in 2010 held at COEX in Seoul. In addition, Seoul has raised its international status; for example, it has been selected as “The World’s Best City for Business,” for the three consecutive years.
The site area of the competition, the Jamsil Sports Complex, has a significant meaning in not only the sports history of Korea but also the development history of Seoul in that it hosted the 1986 Asian Games and the 1988 Olympics since its completion in 1984. Additionally, the area around the Jamsil Sports Complex has a potential as a waterfront in the city surrounded by the Han River and the Tancheon (a tributary of the River). However, the facilities have deteriorated and most of the area is currently used just as parking space. Moreover, although the area abuts on the waterfront, the accessibility of the public is limited. For such reasons, the site area is no longer vital and the need for regenerationis becoming an issue.
- This competition seeks creative, innovative, and outstanding ideas from domestic and international professionals in order to shed new light on the meaning, value and potential of the Jamsil Sports Complex area. By transforming the area into an international attraction with international competitiveness and a citizen-centered space, we aim for the sustainable growth of Seoul as well as a bond of sympathy with the world.
- We hope that various discussions can be begun the complex’s regeneration and future uses through this competition and that the diverse and creative ideas proposed will be used for developing the ‘International Exchange District and drafting the master plan for the COEX~Jamsil Sports Complex area.
- This competition is an international ideas competition open to all professionals.
- All individuals or corporations around the world involved in urban planning/design, architecture, landscape architecture, real estate development, management, tourism, culture or any other related fileds can participate either individually or collectively in this competition. International individuals and corporations are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Collective submission as a team is limited to a maximum of five entities including individuals and corporations.
- A team shall delegate one representative who is listed as an individual participant in advance, and submit related information with the ‘Collective Submission Agreement.
- Delegated representative shall not be changed; the members of collective submission can be changed until one day before the submission date (5 p.m. August 10, 2015, Korea Standard Time), by logging into the competition website and entering changed information; and no changes shall be allowed afterwards.
- The intentions of the representative are regarded as the intentions of the team.
- For the fairness of the competition, the following persons shall not be allowed to participate in the competition:
- The organizer of the competition, administrators, and any individuals, corporations, and employees of the corporations having jobs related to the competition
- Jurors, reserve juror, or any related committee members
- Period :10 a.m. May 6, 2015 to 5p.m. June 2, 2015 (Korea Standard Time)
- Location :Competition official website (http://www.jamsil-idea.org)
- Method :
- Participants may register by filling out the ‘registration’ form on the official website
- Participants must enter all information, including the self-determined identification number (PIN), on the registration form.
- 1st Prize (three entries) : 100 million Korean won each
- 2nd Prize (five entries) : 30 million Korean won each
- If the organizer launches a design competition for remodeling “The Main Stadium of the Jamsil Sports Complex”, only the eight winners will be invited.
- Registration : 10 a.m. May 6, 2015 to 5 p.m. June 2, 2015
- Distribution of instructions and related materials : 10a.m. May 13, 2015
- Site visit and briefing : June 10, 2015
- – Site visit and briefing application : 5 p.m. June 9, 2015
- Question period : 10 a.m. June 3, 2015 to 5 p.m. June 12, 2015
- Answers Posted : 10a.m. June 19, 2015
- – In person: 10a.m. August 11, 2015 to 5p.m. August 12, 2015
- – By postal mail: Must be postmarked by August 12, 2015 and arrive at the submission location by 00:00 am August 21.
- Evaluation : September 1, 2015 to September 2, 2015 (two days)
- Announcement of the winners : September 4, 2015
- Awards ceremony : September 16, 2015
- Exhibition : September 16 ~ 25, 2015
- ※ All time indicated in the competition is based on the Korea Standard Time (UTC/GMT+9).
- ※ The schedule may partly be changed depending on the organizer’s circumstances and changes will be announced on the official web site.
Official website : www.jamsil–idea.org