Submission: November 04, 2019
Registration: November 04, 2019
Language: English, Italian
Location: Monza, Lombardy, Italy
Prizes: Please see details below
ABC | Monza 2019 is an international architectural ideas competition in the time of Digital Transformation.
The theme of the competition is the urban regeneration of an industrial site of approximately 60,000 square meters in the city of Monza – Italy in accordance with the values of environmental, economic and social sustainability.
One of the characterizing elements of this competition is the use of BIM (Building Information Modeling) for the ideation, design and submission of the proposal.
Via Philips 12 in Monza – Lombardy – Italy, north of the Greater Milan and close to what in the coming years will become the Campania stop of Line 5 of the Milan underground
WHAT TO DESIGN
Few constraints and great creative freedom are the cornerstones of this competition.
This is because we expect the competitors to give their best by designing and developing, within the limits of a competition of ideas, a proposal that amazes. An innovative proposal, perhaps unconventional or even “foolish” in the Steve Jobs’ favored meaning of instinctive, passionate and unconstrained by dogmas and preconceptions. A proposal that could be a building, more buildings or even no building. Perhaps a place of aggregation for leisure or for work or perhaps a less probable place of retreat and meditation. An incubator of dreams or of start-ups or a Chocolate Factory. But another important point is that it is sustainable at the time of construction as it should be in times to come. And finally, it is called to bring value, in the broader term of the word, to the neighbourhood around it.
WHO CAN PARTIICPATE
The competition allows the participation of students and professionals from any Country. In the case of individual participation, only young people under 35 are admitted. In the case of group participation, the team representative must be a young person under 35 while there are no constraints for the other team members.
The prize pool of Euro 20,000 is divided as follows:
• For the proposal with the best approach to Architecture prize of Euro 10,000
• For the proposal with the best approach to Sustainability, a prize Euro 5,000
• For the proposal with the best approach to BIM a prize of Euro 5,000
There are also 3 honourable mentions for each category
* The value of the prizes is to be understood as gross and all-inclusive
• 25 June 2019 Starting of registrations
• 4 October 2019 Closing of registrations
• 4 November 2019 End of submissions
• 28 November 2019 Awarding of the Winners
• a 3D digital “BIM” model in IFC format with the design and landscape of the proposal
• two ISO A1 tables in pdf format with plans, elevations, images of the project, etc.
• a pdf report explaining the proposal and how the proposal’s environmental, economic and social sustainability themes are addressed
• a representative image that can be used as a symbol of the proposal
• from 25 June to 31 July 2019 Early bird fee: Euro 75
• from 1 August to 15 Sept. 2019 Regular fee: Euro 100
• from 16 Sept. to 4 Oct. 2019 Late bird fee: Euro 150
• from 5 October on registration is no more allowed!
WHAT SOFTWARE SHOULD I USE
Few constraints and great freedom even for this aspect. We decided to use the IFC format for the submission because it is actually independent from the software used to create the model. So, you can design, plan, do calculations and simulations with any software that is BIM-capable, which means most of those that are in the world of architecture / construction. On the BuildingSMART website you can find, for example, a list of certified SWs. Few are free but many have favourable academic or educational licenses. The only constraint, as we said, is that the file that will contain the 3D model of the proposal must be an IFC file. So, your program will have to know how to create it directly or you will have to use an “interpreter” software that will take care of this aspect.