Submission: November 03, 2016
Registration: November 03, 2016
Location: London, UK
Prizes: Pls check details below
New London Architecture (NLA), the capital’s forum for the built environment, has launched a competition to find London’s best home extension or improvement project completed within the last two years.
‘Don’t Move, Improve!’ celebrates architectural innovation, from extensions to interior insertions and conversions to garden studios. Organised in association with Dezeen, RIBA London and Clippings, the competition seeks out projects that demonstrate exceptional innovation in the creation of new living space for Londoners.
Applicants have until 3 November 2016 to submit their projects and submission details can be found via www.newlondonarchitecture.org. Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on 26 January 2017.
The jury will be made up of experts and journalists from across the industry, including Carl Turner of Carl Turner Architects, Cany Ash of Ash Sakula, Russ Edwards of Pocket, Jo McCafferty of Levitt Bernstein and journalist Philippa Stockley. Winning and shortlisted projects will be featured in a three month exhibition at NLA’s gallery space at The Building Centre and also in a dedicated publication.
Winning practices will also receive a year’s membership of NLA, the opportunity to participate in the competition’s associated events programme, and coverage in Dezeen. All shortlisted and winning practices will also be invited to take part in a series of design surgery events throughout the year, offering one-to-one advice to members of the public.
The awards are now in their seventh year, with past winners including Carl Turner Architects, Platform 5 Architects and Ben Adams Architects. Last year the award was won by ‘House of Trace’, a two storey addition to a Victorian home in Lewisham by Tsuruta Architects.
It was praised by the judges for exhibiting a true understanding of the building’s history whilst also creating a beautiful new series of spaces for the owners. The innovative use of materials demonstrated how a design on a budget can look luxurious – and how a considered use of space and light can “make the heart race”, even in a domestic interior.
- Winning and shortlisted projects featured in a two-month exhibition at The Building Centre and dedicated publication
- Winning practices awarded 12-month NLA membership (value: £1,295+VAT)
- Winning projects featured in Dezeen
- Winning homeowners receive Clippings vouchers
- Winning practices invited to participate in NLA’s associated events programme
- All shortlisted practices invited to participate in a year-round programme of Don’t Move, Improve! open days for Londoners looking to extend their homes
- All shortlisted practices invited to Awards reception to announce winners in January 2017
- Clippings discount issued to all submitters