Submission: July 21, 2017
Registration: July 21, 2017
Prizes: Please see details below
Tiny Homes are hot these days – more and more people are seeing the value of drastic downsizing in favour of increased financial freedom and reduced consumption and footprint. These are also important values that are core to Rise’s existence – helping you save money while reducing your footprint.
So what better way to kick-off our online platform than with a competition that will give you – architects, designers, and DIY design geniuses – the opportunity to see your designs come to life. Rise, in partnership with SketchUp will not only give you the chance to compete for bragging rights, but also to see your creativity become reality as the winning design will be used to build a sustainable, off-grid tiny home for a deserving family.
You’re tasked with inventing/designing a tiny home to be used by a family. Here’s what should be part of a successful design:
- The home maximizes the use of sustainably-minded/sourced, low embodied energy, non-toxic, and local products/techniques in its construction. A good place to start to get ideas could be on Rise…
- The home is preferably off-grid (and/or net-metered)
- Use of space: Since this will be the future home of a small family, a kitchen, full bathroom, and minimum three beds are required.
- Geography: The home’s location will be in New Brunswick, Canada – we strongly encourage the consideration of the local climate in the design submissions.
- Power/Heat: The home should take advantage of the sun as its primary source of energy, so a solar array is recommended but not mandatory (keeping in mind it still needs to be off-grid). Storage for any solar infrastructure should be part of the design. Heat source(s) should also be an important part of the design.
- Size: Tiny homes make the most of every square inch, so be mindful of this by being cost effective while minimizing environmental footprint – the overall dimensions should not exceed 400 sq. ft. (or 37.2m2) of total floor area. Maximum height – 22 ft (or 6.71m)
- Installation: Should be ready for install on a slab – suggestions on materials to use for foundation are also welcome.
- Cost: The cost for the build should not exceed $45,000 in materials.
This Contest is open to residents of Canada and the United States who are over the legal age of majority in their province or territory of residence, except employees, representatives and agents (including any persons with whom they are domiciled, whether related or not) of Rise Home Design Inc., Partner and any Jury members.
In order to be eligible for the Grand Prize, Tiny Home Design Submissions must not have:
- been previously published in/on any other publication, whether in print or online, including any publicly viewable website; or
- previously selected as finalist, winner, honourable mention, etc. in any other competition or contest.
Sponsor will have the right to request from any individual who has submitted an entry (each an “Entrant”) to provide proof of identity and/or eligibility to participate. Failure to provide proof within a reasonable time or the provision of false or misleading information could result in the Entrant’s disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrants who, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, do not comply with these Rules or who otherwise tamper with the entry process.
Eligible individuals may submit only one Entry.
There will be one grand prize awarded, consisting of a cash prize of $1,000 CDN and the opportunity to have the winning Tiny Home Design Submission showcased, built and/or delivered to the deserving family (“Grand Prize”). SPONSOR WILL DECIDE, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, WHETHER OR NOT TO PROCEED WITH CONSTRUCTION OF THE TINY HOME. IF SPONSOR DECIDES TO PROCEED, IT WILL HAVE THE FULL AND FINAL SAY OVER ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONSTRUCTION AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY THE TINY HOME DESIGN IN ANY WAY TO ENSURE SUITABILITY FOR CONSTRUCTION.
There will be up to three honourable mentions (“Honourable Mentions”), at the sole discretion of Sponsor, who will have their Tiny Home Design showcased by Partner on Rise. The Grand Prize and the Honourable Mentions constitute the “Prizes”.