Submission: January 28, 2023
Registration: January 1, 2023
Location: Haikou, China
Prizes: Please see details below
The best buildings are like this. We are deep in it, but we don’t know where nature ends and art begins.— Yutang Lin
Fishing villages were born from the inhabitation of human beings. In the course of shaping and adapting to the nature, the relationship of humans and nature developed and reached a kind of dynamic balance, the harmonious coexistence. The traditional Chinese philosophy of “Unity of Man and Nature” on building has help hatch primitive and pure habitable spaces. Hainan has undergone a development of thousand years, and formed migratory living cities and now softly starts a diverse humanitarian living mode. Humans travelling and residing in international islands is a coastal lifestyle that combines the traditional culture with the modern service. It is a desire of modern people toward a retreat on islands, leading a secluded life just like the peach blossom spring (a poem written by Tao Yuanming, a famous Chinese poet and politician during the Six Dynasties period).
Jiangdong New Area is located in the east coast of Haikou. It starts from Dongzhai Harbour in the east, to the Nandu River in the west; from the east coastline in the north, to the Ring Road (Phase II) and 212 Provincial Highway in the south. With a total area about 298 square kilometers, it is divided into the eastern ecological functional area and the western industry-city integration area. The former takes up about 106 square kilometers, including 33 square kilometers of the international important wetland Dongzhai Harbour National Nature Reserve; the latter occupies an area of about 192 square kilometers, with an overall structure planning of “one port double heart convergence of four groups” including the airport economic zone with focus on Meilan International Airport, coastal ecological headquarters gathering center, coastal vitality center, cultural exchange cluster, comprehensive service cluster, offshore innovation and entrepreneurship cluster, higher education and scientific research cluster.
To further enhance the regional residential supporting facilities in Jiangdong New Area, to improve the regional service level and functional quality, to avoid happenings of the pendulum clan flow and the periodic deserted city circumstance, it is hereby to launch the construction of the market-centered commercial housing project in Jiangdong New Area. Meanwhile, with the aim of improving the environment of Jiangdong New Area and shaping better human habitat, the Design Competition of International Islands and the Future Residence is formally released, and we sincerely invite all global excellent design teams to join in!
The market-centered commercial housing project, plot code JDGJ-03-D05, is located in Jiangdong New Area, Haikou City, bordering Zhenhai Four Heng Road on the west and Haikou Yanlord Gardens on the south. The site area of the plot is about 15939.9㎡. Customers pay more attention to the regional future development, education supporting facilities, living environment as well as indoor spaces of the residence.
Christopher Pierce BArch PhD：
Post TDAP Facilitator Head of Visiting School, EX14 Unit Master
Founder of Daniel Statham Studio, China Chapter Committee Member and Member Royal Institute of British Architects, Distinguished Planning and Architecture Expert of Fengxian New City, Shanghai
Architect/Curator，RIBA Head of Development, China，2013 World Architecture
Festival Future Architecture Special jury，2013 Ordine Architetti Roma (OAR) Guest Curator
Hugh Whitmore AlA：
Value Retail China Senior Design Manager，AlA Shanghai/Beijing 2021 President
General Manager of BRE China
Partner, General Manager of Valode & Pistre China office
Director of Chapman Taylor
ARUP, Associate Director, Architecture Design Lead China
Representative of Jiangdong City Investment
1. The project is located in the higher education and scientific research cluster of Jiangdong New Area, the mangrove forests section, neighboring Dongzhai Harbour Mangrove Forests Wetland Park, East Coastline and Zhenjia River, with abundant natural resources. Surrounded by high-end education institutions and international communities that include Harrow School, Huandao Senior High School, Haikou Yanlord Gardens and Wide Horizon Luxeisland, it formed an international high quality residential section in Jiangdong New Area. The surrounding transportation network of the plot is very convenient.
The project has a small plot area and an irregular land shape as well as a large area for supporting facilities. And thus, it is suggested to combine the existing plot conditions with the overall planning and design for the project. The design shall create a sense of living in a residential community, realizing premium products with high efficiency rate and large free area.
2. The supporting facilities of the project: a 12 classes kindergarten with a land area of not less than 4,680㎡ and a flooring area of not less than 3,182㎡; a community service center, including community service station, with a flooring area of not less than 1,000㎡; a cultural activity station with a flooring area of not less than 1,000㎡; an elderly day care center with a flooring area of not less than 500㎡.
3. The building alignment rate of newly constructed buildings on the plot along eastern side, northern side and western side roads shall not be less than 70%, and that along southern side roads not less than 50%; when the building street wall is pasted with the red line of building setback and the fire fighting site, it can be included in the calculation of the building alignment rate. (For detailed regulation conditions, please see competition documents – site planning and su file)
1. To fully use the surrounding resources of the plot including education, medical care and sports, to enhance the community living supporting facilities, and to form a symbiotic urban life circle; to maximize the exploitation of the landscape resources, to fully use the ecological nature of Jiangdong New Area, and to erect a new standard model for human habitat in Jiangdong New Area; to provide convenient transportation, and to pay attention to creating an atmosphere of open streets as well as good community relationship and high quality life.
2. Main functions: residential + supporting commercial + supporting community service center + supporting kindergarten; architectural style: to adopt fabricated construction with a proportion not less than 50%; housing layout requirement: to consider premium residential products with townhouse as main category and garden villa as partial category (for semi-detached villa, it is restricted to two folds of upper and down floors); housing unit area: townhouse 200~260㎡, garden villa 125~160㎡.
3. It shall comply with the urban plan and the project requirements for functions. The contents of the design shall meet the requirements for the schematic design, including but not limited to architectural function composition, site plan, elevation, renderings, etc. The contents of the conceptual design and the detailed schematic design shall include the conceptual scheme of interior and landscape (including demonstration area, sales center and show flat).
4. It shall comply with state and local rules of PRC for architectural design. On the basis of the design conditions, participants shall consider the practicality, locality, innovation and landing in the design, and fully present the innovative power, market competitive strength, as well as meet the needs of local clients for human habitat in Hainan.
Contents of the Design
I. The winners of the competition shall submit contents of the conceptual design according to the requirements as stated below:
1. Design description: to systematically describe the scheme of architecture, interior, gardening landscape and the design of scenes.
2. Scheme report: architectural scheme report, to provide both PDF and PPT formats.
3. Technical drawings:
(1) site plan, to provide a colored site plan, CAD format;
(2) section of the site, CAD format;
(3) single building plan, section and elevation, to provide typical building plan, section, elevation, special details(if there is), su model, with plan and section in CAD format and elevation in JPG format.
4. Technical and economic indicators table: overall indicators table, to consider 3% fabricated FAR bonus area, EXCEL format.
5. Renderings: 1 rendering of aerial view, 1 rendering of street view perspective, single building perspective, interior intention figure, gardening landscape intention figure, all of them in JPG format.
II. The detailed cooperation unit shall submit contents of the detailed schematic design according to the requirements as stated below:
1. Design description: to systematically describe the scheme of architecture, interior, gardening landscape and the design of scenes.
2. Scheme report: architectural scheme report, to provide the detailed architectural scheme report in PDF format, including the conceptual scheme of interior and landscape, location analysis, site location, current conditions analysis, land conditions analysis, entrance/exit condition analysis, site plan, vertical analysis diagram, firefighting analysis diagram, traffic circulation analysis diagram, public supporting facilities analysis diagram, landscape analysis diagram, greening analysis diagram, sunlight analysis diagram. .
3. Technical drawings:
(1) site plan, to provide a colored site plan, CAD format;
(2) basement plan, daily and wartime (with clear scale and scope for air defense), CAD format;
(3) section of the site, CAD format;
(4) single building plan, section and elevation, to provide typical building plan, section, elevation, special details(if there is), su model, with plan and section in CAD format and elevation in JPG format.
4. Technical and economic indicators table: overall indicators table, to consider 3% fabricated FAR bonus area for the FAR building area, EXCEL format.
5. Renderings: 1 rendering of aerial view, 2 renderings of street view perspective, 1 rendering of night view, single building perspective (each residential, commercial, kindergarten, community entrance with 1 rendering respectively), interior intention figure, gardening landscape intention figure, all of them in JPG format.
6. Cost estimation: to provide the detailed cost data for the architectural scheme phase of innovative idea.
7. Other works:
(1) design clarifications to the developing design and construction drawings design units (including but not limited to design units of architecture, landscape and interior);
(2) complete the approval of architectural developing design drawings and construction drawings (including special project schemes of gardening landscape, floodlight, interior decoration, etc.);
(3) construction cooperation phase: including but not limited to inspecting on-site façade samples, checking up decorative façade surface, and approving façade construction and if it complies with the landing of the design scheme; to review the architectural drawings of color separation and materials.
1. A scheme shall be presented in at least four, no more than 12 A2 sheets in a clear, vertical way and in readable format (with a 8mm page margin) and include following parts:
-Registration No. shall be put in the bottom right corner of the sheets, in Arial 20pt font;
-Contents are as below:
1) Descriptive text on concept within 1200 words, design idea, general layout and environmental design, single building concept, function, style, structure scheme, technical and economic indicators (considering 3% fabricated FAR bonus area), etc.
2) The drawings should be with caption in English and Chinese, and include colored site plan, section of the site, single building plan, section and elevation, special details, etc.
3) Color renderings: 1 rendering of aerial view, 1 rendering of street view perspective, single building perspective, interior intention figure, gardening landscape intention figure
*Through diagrams and text, the scheme shall be narrated in details and be sure of its clarity and readability.
2. Two versions of materials shall be submitted. Sheets of Version A in JPG format (no larger than 10MB for each) can be submitted; Sheets of Version B in PDF format (original high definition for each) can be submitted.
3. A scheme title shall be named as simple as possible; the scheme shall be saved in the “registration No. – scheme title – sheet No.1/No.2/No.3/No.4” format;
4. A scheme shall be submitted in bilingual (English and Chinese) or English;
5. It is best to submit drawings according to the order of site plan – diagrams – single building – partial. It can be adjusted under certain circumstance；
6. The cover must be submitted online which is the key visual of your design work; it must be uploaded in the size of 1045×654 pixels, 72 dpi, less than 2MB.
7. Among all drawings as well as descriptive text, please do not disclose the Entrant’s information on identity including name, company, etc. Any form of violation against this rule means automatic disqualification.
8. The Entrants selected into the Top 20 shall shoot a video of narrating their works within five minutes according to the official notice of RIBA, so as to compete for the Top 5 of the competition.
1. Site conditions & shooting
2. Site planning & su file
3. Reference for contents of the design
4. Related design rules and standard files
5. Jiangdong New Area introduction & publicity videos
6. Project questionnaire
7. Description of the intellectual property rights
Explanatory letter on the intellectual property rights of the Material Package for the 2022-2023 Design Competition of International Islands and the Future Residence
The intellectual property rights of all project documents and drawings (including the “Competition Package”) provided in the 2022-2023 Design Competition of International Islands and the Future Residence are owned by Jiangdong City Investment Co., LTD. (hereinafter referred to as the “Company”). Without written authorization of the Company, No one shall copy or use the project documents and drawings (including the “Competition Package”) in any form for matters unrelated to the competition, or provide them to any third party or for other purposes.
Any infringement of the company’s intellectual property rights, the company will be investigated for legal liability.
According to the competition concept and design goals, the following principles are set for the basic evaluation:
1. Principle of practicality: Products shall have a competitive strength in the market. In terms of operation and sales, the design shall consider the output of the project investment, helping the project gain a higher rate of investment.
2. Principle of locality: The design shall meet the needs of local clients for human habitat in Hainan. The design shall be themed with international islands and future residence, comply with the new trend of modern people’s lifestyle when residing in international islands. The design shall consider the relations of city, architecture, environment and human activities, fully use the surrounding resources, fully integrate into the built environment of Jiangdong New Area, and erect a new standard model for human habitat in Jiangdong New Area.
3. Principle of landing: The design shall comply with relative state and local rules and regulations of PRC. After the consideration of principle stated above, participants shall fully consider the landing and implementation of the conceptual design scheme in China.
4. Principle of innovation: Products shall have an innovative power. The future of living scenes for humans shall be seen in the design, forward-looking and advanced, providing diverse, personalized, innovative thinking, with aesthetics. The goal of the project is to create high-end boutique housing.
5. Principle of scientific technology and environmental protection: On the basis of beautiful and applicable principles, the design shall present the sustainable development idea of scientific and intelligent technology and green ecology. After the consideration of all the principles stated above, the principle of environmental protection will be deemed as one of the evaluation criteria.
Reference of the Design
For reference of the design, please see the competition documents – reference for contents of the design.
1. This competition is open to all design agencies with related design practice domestically and worldwide (companies/enterprises with qualification of independent legal person or organizations with the ability of bearing civil liability independently). Individuals or groups of individuals are not accepted for registration.
2. Registration by a consortium is accepted in the competition. The member quantity of the consortium (including the leading member) shall not exceed 3. Each party of the consortium shall not participate in this competition in its own name, nor does it form another consortium with other design agencies. The leading member of the consortium shall be an architectural design team.
3. A multi-disciplinary team is encouraged in the competition including majors of architectural design, urban design, landscape design and interior design, etc.
4. Participants shall submit only one scheme within the stipulated time. And the scheme shall meet the related index requirements. The champion of the competition shall complete the detailed schematic design according to the requirements and submit the contents of design that reach the design result for application of construction approval.
5. Each participant has to register on the official website of designverse, the data support of the competition, and is invited by the group leader to complete its group-joining action; for any questions, please visit our website.
2022.12.15 Call for entries
2022.12.22 Cloud field survey video online release
2023.01.01 Registration deadline
2023.01.28 Submission deadline
2023.02.05 Release of shortlisted winners
2023.02.15 Release of Top 20
2023.02.28 Release of the Champion & Top 5
The timeline is for reference only, the specific time is subject to designverse official website.
Champion (1 winner): A prize of RMB 500,000 (pre-tax) + Certificate of Honour
The Second Prize (2 groups): A prize of RMB 150,000 (pre-tax) + Certificate of Honour
The Third Prize (2 groups): A prize of RMB 100,000 (pre-tax) + Certificate of Honour
Top 20 (15 winners): Certificate of Top 20 Honour
Shortlist: Honourable Shortlist Certificate
The detailed schematic design cooperation unit will be further selected from the award winners and shortlists of the competition. For the detailed schematic design phase, the contract design fee is RMB 700,000 (pre-tax).
The final awards-setting is subject to designverse official website. All the prizes are invested by Haikou Jiangdong New Area City Investment Co., Ltd., the project investor. After the public release of the winning result of the competition, the project investor will sign the agreement (the intellectual property rights transfer agreement on the awarded works) with the winners and pay the prizes directly to the winners; the project investor will directly sign the detailed schematic design contract with the detailed cooperation unit as well.
The project investor signing the agreement (the intellectual property rights transfer agreement on the entry work) with the winner means that the intellectual property rights for the entry work has been transferred to the project investor except the right of authorship. The project investor owns the copyright of the entry work of the winner (including but not limited to the right to possess, compile, publish, employ, reproduce, distribute, etc. ), and has the rights to adapt, compile and apply the entry works. The winner retains the right of authorship and shall not use the work on his/her own or commission any third party to do so.
Please register by logging into our official website: www.designverse.com.cn
In accordance with applicable laws and regulations, by participating in this competition, each Entrant irrevocably agrees to abide by the below statements about the copyrights for all submissions.
■Statement of Originality
All submissions must be original, and each Entrant shall ensure that his/her entry does not infringe any third party’s rights, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, and so on. Otherwise, the Entrant will be disqualified from the competition, and the organizer will withdraw all the sponsorship money and materials and reserve the right to investigate and affix legal liability of infringement. All damages and losses arising therefrom shall be borne by the Entrant; and all the direct and indirect damages (including but not limited to attorney fees, legal fees, costs of preservation, appraisal costs, notarial fees, and so on) suffered by the organizer shall be compensated by the Entrant.
■Statement of Consent
By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to authorize the organizer to publicly display the work in the form of credited or hidden names to everyone for the purpose of holding the competition, and accepts the online selection process. And before uploading a submission, each Entrant must confirm that he/she has read and fully understands all of the clauses, and accepts them. The judging panel reserves the right to make a final decision on entry assessment and award list. According to the principles of fairness, impartiality and openness, the Competition Commission will invite professionals of each field to form the Jury and work on the appraisal of entry. If there is any dispute on entry, please contact and report to the Competition Commission with corresponding proof (such as related files of the plagiarized work). If the plagiarism is verified and confirmed after investigation, it means automatic disqualification either on participating in the Competition or on winning an award.*In any circumstance, the Entrant shall not contact or try to contact any member of the Jury. Any form of violation against this rule means automatic disqualification. The submission of work by the Entrant refers to the Entrant agree the organizer of the Competition to have the sole right of priority on obtaining the intellectual property of the entry work based on purchasing. Before the final release of the Competition’s result, the confidentiality of the entry work shall be protected by the Entrant till Champion of the Design Competition of International Islands and the Future Residence is formally announced. Any form of violation against this rule means automatic disqualification. The detailed Official Rules of this competition will be published on the designverse website. Please read them carefully.
Organizers: Haikou Jiangdong New Area Development and Construction Co., Ltd., Haikou Jiangdong New Area City Investment Co., Ltd.
Guiding Unit: Haikou Jiangdong New Area Administration
Co-organizer: Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
Strategic Partners: World Architecture and Technology Innovation Conference (WATIC), Young Bird Plan, ARCHINA
Data Support: designverse
Chief Media: ArchDaily
Culture Consultant: Debrett’s
Supporting Units: China-Britain Business Council (CBBC), British Standards Institution (BSI), British Research Establishment (BRE), Charted Institute of Building (CIOB), Association for Project Management (APM)