Submission: October 11
Registration: October 11
Prizes: View website
What do you picture upon hearing the word “primitive”?
Is it the “original” state, close to nature, the bare form before it is polished, refined, or developed? Or the “primordial” state,
which predates artificial touches?
For this year’s KOKUYO DESIGN AWARDS,
we interpreted “primitive” as “redefined essence.”
If we return to the idea of “primitive” in order to create the future,
what form of evolution can we imagine?
When we take a fresh look at our familiar materials,
we may discover the possibility of further development.
By utilizing your unique perspectives and creativity,
we can explore the “primitive” in each of us.
We invite you to show us the “essence” of the future.
- Any stationery, furniture or tool used in working, learning and living scenes
- The competition accepts entries from any corporation, individual, or group that fulfills all the following requirements, regardless of their age, sex, occupation, or nationality.
1. Persons who are able to give a presentation at the final judging (March 16, 2024).
* The contest organizer will pay expenses incurred by participants for travel and lodging
(up to two individuals for group entries).
2. Persons who consent to these Rules.
* In cases when an entrant is a minor, the consent of their parent or other statutory agent is required.
NUMBER OF SUBMISSION ALLOWED
* Entry eligibility is limited to those designs never before shown publicly (in Japan, other countries).
* About New Generation Award
This award is selected by KOKUYO Co., Ltd. from among all entries submitted by students (from elementary school to graduate school students) in the hope for their future success. We will select up to 10 outstanding entries that, based on their presentation sheets, make us “feel that their futures will be exciting” (without judging the models).
* Not all prizes may be awarded for all categories if there is no winner selected.
* Prize money will be paid net of withholding tax, surtax for reconstruction funding, and other applicable deductions.
* The amount shown in dollar is that calculated at the time of publication. The prize will be calculated according to the exchange rate at the time of payment, from the amount shown in Japanese yen.
- Shogo Kishino Tsuyoshi Tane Nao Tamura
Teruhiro Yanagihara Satoshi Yoshiizumi Hidekuni Kuroda
- The idea’s clarity
The idea highlights social issues
The design’s potential to become a product
ABOUT COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT OF WINNING WORKS
UNDER KOKUYO CO., LTD.
- About the consideration of commercialization by KOKUYO Co., Ltd.
Award-winning works may be considered for commercialization.
In principle, product commercialization is carried out through co-creation between the award winners and KOKUYO.
For this reason, we may ask winners to participate in the commercialization process.
In the event of commercialization, a part of the work may be modified upon mutual consultation.
Registration through Winner Announcements
Registration & Submission
July 28 – 12:00 (noon) JST on October 11, 2023
Check the entry requirements, and then register your entrant information, design information, and submit your design data using the ENTRY pages on our website.
First Round of Judging
Late October 2023
Judgement based on the presentation sheet.
Second Round of Judging
Late November 2023
10 finalists selected from works that passed the First Round of Judging
Notification of Second Round Results
Mid December 2023 (tentative)
Only successful entrants will be contacted.
Final Judging and Awards Ceremony
March 16, 2024 (tentative) (Held in Tokyo)
Judgement based on a presentation and model (either online or in-person).
Announcement of the Winners
March 16, 2024 (tentative)
Winners will be posted on the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD website after the conclusion of the official announcements.
* Schedule subject to change.
>>> Go to the organizers’ website <<<
Most popular competitions