Submission: June 02, 2017
Registration: June 02, 2017
Prizes: $10,000 + publication / Details Below
Paradisiacal, utopian, dystopian, heterotopian – islands hold an especially enigmatic and beguiling place in our geographical imagination. Existing in juxtaposition to what’s around them, islands are figures of otherness and difference. Differentiated from their contexts and as much myth as reality, islands have their own rules, their own stories, their own characters, their own ecologies, their own functions, and their own forms.
The LA+ IMAGINATION design ideas competition asks you to design a new island. You can locate it anywhere in the world, program it any way you want, and give it any form and purpose you can imagine.
USD $10,000 total prize money and feature publication in LA+ Journal’s LA+ IMAGINATION issue
• Richard Weller, Professor + Chair of Landscape Architecture | University of Pennsylvania
• James Corner, Principal | James Corner Field Operations
• Marion Weiss, Principal | Weiss/Manfredi Architecture
• Matthew Gandy, Professor of Geography | Cambridge University
• Mark Kingwell, Professor of Philosophy | University of Toronto
• Javier Arpa, Urbanist and Curator | The Why Factory, Delft