Submission: 5 May, 2023
Registration: 30 April2023
Prizes: Please see the details below
Archiol has organized this second edition of the Off the grid design competition to understand the possibilities of sustainability in residential architecture.
“To design is to communicate clearly by whatever means you can control or master.” – Milton Glaser
Tiny house: an eco-friendly housing solution.
Our lives are dependent on the systems that complete our housing requirements. What will happen if these grid systems fail? The sustainable approach to housing is important for human survival. Can we design our dream home within the limit of 37sq.m., off the grid? With spaces that fulfill all the basic functioning of the house most innovatively and effectively. Explore your capacity to come up with ideas that can fit within the limited space, mainly focusing on sustainability.
This competition aims to address the issue of:
• Dependency of housing systems on the grid system
• The ever increasing wants over needs
• The financial constraints
• The exploitation of Nature – impact on the environments
• Encroaching the space of other living beings
“Inspiration, imagination and intuition are squashed in our world. But if you can go there, and stay there, you’ll have a lot more energy.”
Design a home that matches the idea of your dream home with all the necessary functions at only one condition that it should be ‘off the grid’. Home for a maximum of two people with interesting and innovative spaces.
Keywords: Off-grid, Tiny Home, Sustainable Home
• Off – Grid: Without using or depending on public utilities.
• Tiny Home: Downsizing living spaces, simplifying and essentially living with less.
• Sustainable Home: Efficient use of energy and resources with minimal impact on the environment.
“More was never the answer. The answer, it turned out, was always less.” – Cait Flanders.
GUIDELINES / RULES
• Site / Location: It can be located anywhere in the world, choose wisely.
• You have to design a tiny house, (Max: 37 sq.m.)
• Innovations in basic functions.
• The two words to remember ‘Sustainability and Off the grid’
• Design that truly defines the idea of “Less is more”.
• Drawing requirements: Conceptual (Priority), Plans, Sections, Elevations, Views.
• Support your design with all possible explanations, (Formats that are accepted: Text, Video, Audio, and the most obvious drawings)
• The reasoning for every space that has been designed with areas allotted.
“It’s like the gravity of the Earth. There’s a gravity of human nature that makes it hard to think in any other way than the way that’s here.” – Michael Reynolds
Winners (X3): Certificate of achievement + Publication + Interview
Honourable mentions (X3): Certificates + Publication
Shortlisted entries (X10): Certificates