Submission: 31 March 2017
Registration: 06 March 2017
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Prizes: Jury Award: 2,500 €, Audience Award: 500€
The Lx Campus Ideas Competition is part of the Landscape and Life conference, which will take place May 3 – 5, 2017 at Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian in Lisbon, Portugal. The focus of both the ideas competition and the international conference is to examine and discuss the relationship between outdoor spaces and what they offer to people, in terms of well-being, throughout the different phases of life.
The Lx Campus Ideas Competition asks competitors to examine the City of Lisbon University campus in Portugal, a space associated with a single user group: young and middle-aged adults. Competitors should consider how new uses and affordances — that is, anything in the environment that makes an offer of use or action to its user — could be created to enhance the experience for current users, such as students, faculty, and staff members, but also previously excluded users such as neighbouring families and elderly residents, visitors, and general citizens.
A. This competition is open to all interested parties, irrespective of their background or age.
B. Individual or group registrations are permitted, regardless of whether or not there is any professional link between them.
C. Neither members of the organising committee for the competition nor those individuals responsible for planning the conference can participate. Likewise, direct family members of the jury are not permitted to participate.
D. Being a design competition concerned with issues of landscape and urban design, the competition committee encourages any person wishing to compete, and who does so with a multidisciplinary team, to have experience with at least one of the following disciplinary areas: landscape architecture, architecture, urban design, urban planning or planning.
The aim of the Lx Campus Ideas Competition is to challenge all stakeholders in a wide range of disciplines, including landscape architecture, architecture, urban design, planning, sociology, environmental studies, environmental psychology, education, public health, as well as other relevant disciplines, to examine and re-envision the campus in a way that reflects the theme of this conference, focusing on the concrete case of the City of Lisbon’s University Campus.
Free of planning, financial or other restrictions, competitors are encouraged to examine, analyse, and provide ideas for an achievable design solution to the campus’ masterplan and to at least one (1) intimate, smaller-scale outdoor space. Competitors should consider the following:
– Placemaking, how the creation of memorable, symbolic spaces can strengthen the City of Lisbon University’s brand as an unrivalled centre of higher learning in Portugal
– Improvement and/or introduction of usages and affordances in existing outdoor spaces for a variety of current and previously excluded individuals, small and large groups
– Inclusion of affordances for users of all life phases — childhood, adolescence, young and middle-aged adulthood/family life, and the elderly — on the site
– Increased opportunities for physical interaction/encounters across the student body, between faculties, and among staff members, visitors, neighbouring residence, and general citizens in outdoor spaces
– Improved circulation for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists
– Interventions to address climate, especially Lisbon’s hot summer months and rainy winter months
– To discuss how the University City complex relates to its urban context
Through ideas generation and a design response, the Lx Campus Ideas Competition seeks to create a platform for discussion between competitors, university administration, faculty, students, general citizens, politicians and other interested parties.
- Opening of the competition: January 18, 2017.
- Deadline for clarification requests: February 9, 2017.
- Deadline for answers to clarification requests: February 17,2017.
- Deadline for registration: March 6, 2017.
- Submission of proposals: March 31, 2017.
- Announcement of five (5) Finalists: April 21, 2017.
- Public Vote by attendees of the Landscape and Life Conference: May 4 and 5, 2017.
- Winners announcement and prizes delivery: May 5, 2017.
Two prizes will be awarded. One prize will be awarded by the jury and there will be an audience prize that will be awarded during the Landscape and Life International Conference:
- Jury award – 2,500.00 euros
- Audience award – 500.00 euros