Submission: March 30, 2021
Registration: January 26, 2021
Language: English, Korean
Location: Suwon, S. Korea
Prizes: Please see details below
This competition begins with questions including “What is the street space-centered shared city and how should it be established?” “How does that city make harmony with the natural ecological environment, how is it organized within the harmony and what is the significance of it?” We expect that the participants would provide diverse urban and architectural ideas based on human sciences and philosophical ideas to answer our questions. Competition Directions:
1. All of the designs shall follow the related laws of Korea regarding cities and construction and the design guidelines.
2. The purpose of a design plan is to provide a new three-dimensional integrated city construction plan by connecting with various kinds of city plan related materials including the city master plan of Suwon-si.
3. The main objective is to develop residential areas that become a desirable model as a “street space-oriented sharing city” by considering the design conditions including the topography and surrounding situations of the project site.
4.It requires to suggest a new integrated urban and architecture design method that takes into consideration the domestic conditions including business value, feasibility, and the residential preference of Korean citizens, etc.
- Competition Descriptions
- Site Address: Dangsu-dong, Gwonseon-gu, Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, S. Korea
- Site area: 684,444㎡ (Suwon Dangsu District 2) + 303,660㎡ (remaining area of Suwon Dangsu District 1)
- Number of Housings: 5,000 houses (Suwon Dangsu District 2) + 2,179 houses (remaining area of Suwon Dangsu District 1)
- Estimated design fee: 7,278,000,000 KRW
[Masterplan: 991,000,000 KRW, a pilot project design of 1500 housings: 6,287,000,000 KRW (VAT included)] 1us dollar = 1,200 KRW
- Competition Period: December 30, 2020 ~ March 30, 2021
- Project Period: 2020 ∼ 2025
① This design competition aims to realize a city model with the pleasant living environment under the theme of the “street-centered shared city” in order to create a dwelling environment that meets the future image of “Suwon Dangsu District 2.”
② It is to suggest the urban and architectural methods to pursue an eco-friendly, eco-village and zero energy city, and suggest the eco-village model based on such methods.
③ It is to obtain an original and outstanding design work through the integrated urban and architecture design methods.
- THEMEIntegrated urban and architecture master plan, Walkable city, Eco-village, street space-centered shared city (open to all/ International)
- DESIGN GUIDELINES
- Street space-centered walkable city
- Sharing city with complex use and social integration
- Eco-friendly green hub city with nature
- Comfortable and safe smart city responding to new technologies
- PARTICIPATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
① For Korean architects, it shall be an architect, completing business registration pursuant to Article 23 of the ‘Certified Architect Act’ of Korea as of the date of the notification.
② In the case of the foreign architect, it should be a qualified architect according to the law of the country of origin by the time of the competition announcement.
- If a foreign architect (office) wishes to participate, it must jointly apply with the company from 1, and the representative shall be a qualified person from 1.
- Limit the number of joint participants (consortium) to within 5 people (offices) including individuals and corporations, and the organization should be free from any obstacles to carry out the master plan establishment and related works with a pilot project planning.
- SUBMISSION SCHEDULE
- Announcement: December 30, 2020
- Registration: Dec. 31(Thur) ~ Jan. 26(Tue), 2021
- Entry Submission: March 30, 2021
- Main Jury: April 6, 2021
- Result Announcement: April 7, 2021
|No.||Name||Title||Field of specialization||Note|
|1||Lee, Kyuin||AJOU University||Architecture||Jury members|
|2||Jeon, Younghoon||Chung-Ang University||Architecture|
|3||Kim, Juntaek||Chonnam National University||Architecture|
|4||Chai, Byungsun||Jeonbuk National University||Urban Design|
|5||Kim, Youngook||Sejong University||Urban Design|
|1||Baik, Kyungmoo||Shin Ansan University||Architecture||Preliminary|
|2||Yang, Seungwoo||University of Seoul||Urban Design|
- PRIZE VALUE: 4 winning proposals will be selected. Competition winners will be awarded as follows:
- 1st Prize: priority rights for the masterplan and a pilot project design (7,278 million KRW (1 us dollar=1,200 KRW)
- 2nd Prize (1 entry): 110 million KRW
3rd Prize (2 entries): 70million KRW per each winner