Submission: September 15, 2021
Registration: September 15, 2021
Prizes: Please see details below
Type: Product Design
Enel is looking for a new design for a smart and sustainable street cabinet which must have innovative features in design, materials and manufacturing, incorporating the principles of circular economy and sustainability. The street cabinets constitute urban electrical infrastructures positioned on the street and dedicated to the control of the low voltage electricity grid by Enel’s expert workforce.
The street cabinets constitute electrical infrastructures on the street dedicated to the control of the low voltage electricity grid by Enel’s expert workforce.
The technological development of the Enel Group has recently led to a technological evolution of the street cabinet: it is now defined as SMART because it contains a special terminal block, remote switches, and an advanced sensor kit for monitoring electrical and environmental data measurements.
Over six years ago, Enel undertook the transition towards a sustainable business model, with a marked acceleration of decarbonization. In line with this decision, Enel extended this approach to all of the Group’s businesses in 2016 by adopting, among other things, the concept of circular economy as a strategic driver. Enel’s vision of circular economy is not limited to just recycling materials, it extends to business activities along the entire value chain, starting from the design and procurement phases up to production and end-of-life management: to be truly effective, this approach must be applied from the design stage and must guide the design of the new street cabinet.
The development of the new street cabinet will have to address the following requirements:
1) Comply with the technical, safety, and security requirements currently in adoption by Enel for the external container and its internal components.
2) Have suitable dimensions for the installation of all components.
3) Respond to a better integration with the urban or rural context where it is installed (possibly with the possibility of foreseeing more variations of its version based on the context).
4) Incorporate into its design and implement as much as possible the main principles of circular economy and sustainability.
5) Promote and valorize the corporate image of Enel and its vision through the cabinet’s design.
6) Provide the possibility to convey messages aimed at various stakeholders of the Company.
Up to € 30,000
Designers, start ups, scale ups, SMEs, industrials are eligible for the participation in this challenge.