Submission: March 30, 2021
Registration: March 30, 2021
Prizes: Please see details below
The aim of the Rammed Earth House competition is to design an experimental building made of rammed earth at a specifically selected location in the South-east region of Slovenia. Rammed earth is one of the most sustainable materials in the world, accessible practically anywhere, and its properties enable a healthy and sustainable living environment. The competition’s aim is to design one residential building for two people on a minimum area built of rammed earth. The maximum building area of the building must not exceed 30m2.
The aim of the Rammed Earth House competition is to design an experimental building made of rammed earth at a specifically selected location in the South-east region of Slovenia. Rammed earth is one of the most sustainable materials in the world, accessible practically anywhere, and its properties enable a healthy and sustainable living environment. Earth houses improve indoor air quality and are energy efficient.
The competition location is in the village of Dobrava near Škocjan, on a flat landscape near the river Krka. It is one of the few farms in the area that has retained the characteristics of an early 20th-century farm. Ten buildings in a typically clustered typology stand on the site. The western part of the location is forested. This part is the location of the Rammed earth house competition.
The facility must provide living comfort for two people in accordance with modern criteria:
– Living area with mini kitchen and dining area
– Sleeping area for two people
– Sanitary facilities (shower, sink, toilet)
Instructions on living, sleeping, sanitary work are programmatic, not spatial. This is not a requirement for necessarily separate units, only a requirement for a function, which the contestants can design on their own.
The facility will be as self-sufficient as possible.
- December 31, 2020: Competition announcement and start of the registration.
- February 20, 2021: Closing date for Questions and Inquiries.
- March 1, 2021: Answers to Questions and Inquiries will be published on the competition website. Notices will be emailed to registered entrants.
- March 30, 2021: Closing date for registration.
- March 30, 2021, at 23:59 CET: Submission deadline.
- April 2021: Announcement of the winners.
- Summer 2021: workshop of rammed earth technique on construction site.
3 winning proposals and 3 Honorable Mentions will be selected. The organizers will award a total of EUR 3,000,00 in prizes to competition winners as follows:
- 1st prize: EUR 1.500,00 gross
- 2nd prize: EUR 1.000,00 gross
- 3rd prize: EUR 500,00 gross
- 3 Honorable Mentions
The Organizers will acknowledge the outstanding performance of all winners and Honorable Mentions with Certificates of Achievement. The winners will get media coverage, they will be featured on Outsider.si website and published in the summer edition of the Outsider magazine.